DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   alternative storage devices for HVX (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/76570-alternative-storage-devices-hvx.html)

Mike Quick October 1st, 2006 06:22 PM

alternative storage devices for HVX

Are there any good alternative storage devices other than the firstore 100 from frocus enhancements?

I'd appreciate any response or warnings.

Barry Green October 1st, 2006 08:00 PM

You can firewire out to a laptop running FCP, DV Rack 2.0 HD, EDIUS Broadcast, or Avid XPress Pro HD.

You can also firewire out to a DVCPRO-HD tape deck.

There is one other hard disk recorder on the market currently, the CitiDisk HD. User reports are on the web; you would be wise to avail yourself of them and ask users for the current status, as there have been firmware updates.

Stephen L. Noe October 1st, 2006 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Quick
Are there any good alternative storage devices other than the firstore 100 from frocus enhancements?

I'd appreciate any response or warnings.

I think the P2 store is really the best choice when in the field. It will quickly dump the P2 cards to it's hard drive and wipe the P2 card after it does a checksum on the transfer. Once you get back to your editor, you can plug in the P2 store as an external USB2 hard drive and link to the XML files which make the MXF and audio files immediately available in your NLE's media management (if your NLE accepts these type of files).

Check it out..

Sam Jankis October 1st, 2006 11:10 PM

I have a P2 Store and until the Cineporter comes out, I'm swearing by it. Sure, it's slow... but it is rugged and has been very reliable. If I'm ever in doubt about whether or not a P2 card was loaded onto it, I just put the card in and copy it (again?).

Of course, I haven't had to do documentary work (or weddings, etc.) with the HVX... when that day comes and the Cineporter isn't yet available, I'll get a Firestore.

If your HD shoot consists of short takes, go with the P2 Store.
If your HD shoot consists of long takes, go with the Firestore.

Stephen L. Noe October 1st, 2006 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Jankis
I have a P2 Store and until the Cineporter comes out, I'm swearing by it. Sure, it's slow... but it is rugged and has been very reliable. If I'm ever in doubt about whether or not a P2 card was loaded onto it, I just put the card in and copy it (again?).

Of course, I haven't had to do documentary work (or weddings, etc.) with the HVX... when that day comes and the Cineporter isn't yet available, I'll get a Firestore.

If your HD shoot consists of short takes, go with the P2 Store.
If your HD shoot consists of long takes, go with the Firestore.

Question, do you always have your P2 store in verify mode?

John Jencks October 2nd, 2006 09:39 AM

P2 Store

I use my P2 store all the time, I'm actually trying to build a strap to attach it to my belt so that I can run it on a battery and not have to keep running back and forth to my work area between takes.
I know that Panny says that it has to be laid flat to work properly, but I haven't had any problems.
The USB connection is pretty slow.
And I do run it on verify.

Michael Connor February 7th, 2011 11:49 AM

firewire storage

im lookin at cheapy single chip hard drive camcorders... you can buy for 2 or 300.... if they take dv in.. bingo.. lot cheaper than a firestore and saves killing my tape heads!

Dan Brockett February 8th, 2011 08:02 AM

You might want to check out Panasonic's new AG-MSU10 P2 Storage Device. It is basically the hot new version of the old P2 Store. I just reviewed it for an upcoming issue of HD Video Pro Magazine and it blew me away. It uses an SSD and it can download a 16 GB P2 card in less than 3 minutes! Very nice, simple, and screaming fast device. With the SSD, you can actually download P2 cards while walking, hiking, riding on a 4WD vehicle or bouncing along on a boat. Not super cheap, but to any pro using P2, totally worth the money.

You can check out this on-line review mine doesn't come out for a few months Varicam in Los Angeles - The P2 Blog - Panasonic?s Fast AG-MSU10 ?Benchmarks andVideo

Dan

Michael Connor February 8th, 2011 06:47 PM

looks fantastic.. but as per.. they wanting 800 plus.. same old.. ideal for professionals working in the industry!
The price jump is nuts.. i mean you can buy a mini portable dvr recorder that takes sd cards on ebay for 30 to 120 quid.. but as soon as you bring in a digital connection like firewire.. up jumps the price. One of these hong cong places must be able to build a firestore equivalent for less than £100 retail price. I can get a hard drive domestic video style recorder for this price..one that takes firewire. The jump to running on 12 volts or via a battery pack cant be that big of a technological advance in todays world. Standard external hard drives only run off about 5 volts. A small bit of circutry with a few chips and it should be able to run from a battery pack.. and take digital and analogue in!
All of the smaller hard disk cameras ive found ie less than £300 do not take video in. Only video out.