Little advice requested - DV or DVC... at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 8th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 78
Little advice requested - DV or DVC...

I claim not to do "event videos" because I really enjoy commercials and promos but I am going to be doing an event.

The final project will be on DVD. To avoid having to bring along my computer and / or external HD to transfer full P2 cards would you consider just using miniDV tapes? I only have HVX200 for about a week now and havent been able to experiment much. If converting to Mpeg 2 from DVCPro HD will look better than SD DV its worth the extra effort involved.

What do you suggest?

TIA

Darrin
Darrin Altman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 02:42 AM   #2
New Boot
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Aarhus Denmark
Posts: 7
DVC PRO HD on mini DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin Altman
I claim not to do "event videos" because I really enjoy commercials and promos but I am going to be doing an event.

The final project will be on DVD. To avoid having to bring along my computer and / or external HD to transfer full P2 cards would you consider just using miniDV tapes? I only have HVX200 for about a week now and havent been able to experiment much. If converting to Mpeg 2 from DVCPro HD will look better than SD DV its worth the extra effort involved.

What do you suggest?

TIA

Darrin

Hi Darrin,

You can't record HD at 100Mbit on a mini DV, the tape only supports up to 25Mbit. So DVC PRO 25 or DV (which is neally the same thing anyway).

If you want 50 or 100 you need the P2.
Phil Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 78
Sorry I wasn’t too clear with my question. I am either going to shoot in DVCPro HD 720P24 format to the P2 cards and bring this in to my editing machine and eventually out to DVD. Or shoot to miniDV 480i24 and bring this in to my editing machine and eventually out to DVD.

While just using the miniDV will be easier I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the final DVD quality. I would guess that the higher res video down converted at the end just prior to burning to DVD should give a better picture.

Thanks.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Norris
Hi Darrin,

You can't record HD at 100Mbit on a mini DV, the tape only supports up to 25Mbit. So DVC PRO 25 or DV (which is neally the same thing anyway).

If you want 50 or 100 you need the P2.
Darrin Altman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Espa - Norway
Posts: 151
Shoot HD if you can.

You should at least use the DVCPRO 50 (SD) format as that will give you better colorspace (just a/b and it's esily spotted). It will also give you twice as much recording time to your p2 card...


Gunleik
__________________
Red? Sure!
Gunleik Groven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 78
Thanks for replying. HD it is then.

Darrin






Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunleik Groven
Shoot HD if you can.

You should at least use the DVCPRO 50 (SD) format as that will give you better colorspace (just a/b and it's esily spotted). It will also give you twice as much recording time to your p2 card...


Gunleik
Darrin Altman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #6
Jubal 28
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 872
Only DV can be recorded to tape, period. No version of DVCPRO -- 25, 50, or 100 (HD) -- can be recorded to tape. Card only for those.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network