Little advice requested - DV or DVC... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old October 8th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Little advice requested - DV or DVC...

I claim not to do "event videos" because I really enjoy commercials and promos but I am going to be doing an event.

The final project will be on DVD. To avoid having to bring along my computer and / or external HD to transfer full P2 cards would you consider just using miniDV tapes? I only have HVX200 for about a week now and havent been able to experiment much. If converting to Mpeg 2 from DVCPro HD will look better than SD DV its worth the extra effort involved.

What do you suggest?

TIA

Darrin
Darrin Altman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 01:42 AM   #2
New Boot

DVC PRO HD on mini DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin Altman
I claim not to do "event videos" because I really enjoy commercials and promos but I am going to be doing an event.

The final project will be on DVD. To avoid having to bring along my computer and / or external HD to transfer full P2 cards would you consider just using miniDV tapes? I only have HVX200 for about a week now and havent been able to experiment much. If converting to Mpeg 2 from DVCPro HD will look better than SD DV its worth the extra effort involved.

What do you suggest?

TIA

Darrin

Hi Darrin,

You can't record HD at 100Mbit on a mini DV, the tape only supports up to 25Mbit. So DVC PRO 25 or DV (which is neally the same thing anyway).

If you want 50 or 100 you need the P2.
Phil Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Sorry I wasn’t too clear with my question. I am either going to shoot in DVCPro HD 720P24 format to the P2 cards and bring this in to my editing machine and eventually out to DVD. Or shoot to miniDV 480i24 and bring this in to my editing machine and eventually out to DVD.

While just using the miniDV will be easier I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the final DVD quality. I would guess that the higher res video down converted at the end just prior to burning to DVD should give a better picture.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Norris
Hi Darrin,

You can't record HD at 100Mbit on a mini DV, the tape only supports up to 25Mbit. So DVC PRO 25 or DV (which is neally the same thing anyway).

If you want 50 or 100 you need the P2.
Old October 9th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Shoot HD if you can.

You should at least use the DVCPRO 50 (SD) format as that will give you better colorspace (just a/b and it's esily spotted). It will also give you twice as much recording time to your p2 card...

Gunleik
Old October 9th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for replying. HD it is then.

Darrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunleik Groven
Shoot HD if you can.

You should at least use the DVCPRO 50 (SD) format as that will give you better colorspace (just a/b and it's esily spotted). It will also give you twice as much recording time to your p2 card...

Gunleik
Old October 9th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #6
Jubal 28

Only DV can be recorded to tape, period. No version of DVCPRO -- 25, 50, or 100 (HD) -- can be recorded to tape. Card only for those.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders