Any way to break up P2 data for archiving? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old October 12th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks for all the info Matt. Unfortunately I don't know the difference between RAID 1,3,5 or 6 and how they pertain to storing digital video.

The RAID might be a practical next step from having 2 or 3 Lacie's daisy-chained on my machine, so that's just a matter of time; but I'm still mentally attached to the idea of tangible, stable media with the original footage on it.

(The workflow & benefits of P2 still outweigh this challenge for me)
Old October 12th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #17
New Boot

I found this little explanation very helpful as I've struggled to learn RAID myself.

http://www.wiebetech.com/raidfaq.php

One thing I think they could've covered better is 3 vs 5. I read somewhere else that 3 uses one of the drives as the "parity" drive and that 5 spreads the "parity" drive out amongst all the drives.

*I should also clarify that the Wiebetech will allow any type of raid up to 5 and the FW Depot drive will allow any type of Raid up to 6*
Mattew Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Take a look at what Firmtek has to offer.

So far my system has been reliable.

http://firmtek.com/seritek/

Recent review:
http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/am...firmtek/2se2e/
Old October 18th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #19
Sponsor: Omega Broadcast

Tape drive option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett
Hi:

We have been archiving all of our massive amounts of P2 shoots onto both DLTs and DVCProHD tape. The DLT method sucks as far as we're concerned, it's way too slow and slow to unarchive. The DLT drive also cost $8,000.00.

Dan
Is this a reference to the Quantum 600A? If so, I'm currious about the slow comment. It should be able to retrieve at 3x realtime with DVCPRO HD. Plus, it is mxf aware and you can search it by timecode for retrieval.

I'll be showing this among other workflow solutions on Nov. 7th at our facility. Apple, Quantum, Focus Enhancements, and others will be there.

Allan Barnwell
Omega Broadcast Group
Austin, Texas
Allan Barnwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders