Mac Book or Mac Pro? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old October 16th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mac Book or Mac Pro?

Now that I've got the HVX, I'm upgrading to a pro NLE. My cohorts in Austin are all on FCP, so I'm taking the plunge, and will buy a Mac for the first time. The Mac Pro I've spec'ed will do the job for HD, but a laptop would be nice.

Generally, lappys do not quite deliver the same capability, so if I go with a Mac Book Pro, can I get enough guts to HD? What would I be giving up?
Dick Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Either a Macbook Pro or the Mac Pro... and then hope the P2 card readers (or cineporter) come out soon. Unless you can find an older Powermac with the PCMCIA card slot (the new Macbook Pros use express cards)... P2 cards work with PCMCIA slots.
Sam Jankis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #3
Major Player

If you're ever shooting in DVCPRO HD (which I assume you are since you got the HVX) you'll be grateful for the processing power the MacPro's going to have, not to mention all the hard disk space you can have inside it. Then there's the FW800 ports, etc., and if you get the 23" display the ability to watch your 1080i at full-res. You get what you pay for basically. Happy shopping.
Old October 17th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You'll have a Mac Pro. Then that's ok. You'll only need a decent monitorsolution for color grading.

You'll nott regret getting thE macbook pro. Both machines have the power to run DVCPRO HD, but you canb buy an extra firewirebus (FW800) as an express card for the MBP, that way you can quickly unload your p2 cards and safely record directly to the mac on an external drive without clugging up the FW bus.

Remember to fill it up with RAM, either way.

Gunleik
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

good advice, thanks - I think the loaded Mac Pro is the way to go.
Dick Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders