Using Panasonic HVX with Firestore at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old October 20th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #1
Tourist

Using Panasonic HVX with Firestore

Hello all,

Is a Firestore a viable alternative to the P2 cards for data storage as you shoot?

I have found very little written about actually using the Firestore with the HVX. I'm keen to hear from anyone that has used the HVX with a Firestore device to get an idea of how effective this set up is, how has it performed? Have there been any drawbacks? Do you recomend it? Which Firestore did you use? Is it inferior to a P2 card in anyway?

Also please could you detail how you use it with the HVX. Can you attach the device to the camera in a similar way to a battery pack or do you have to carry it separatly, connected by a lead? What is the lead you need to connect it to the camera and how does it interact with a computer? Is it simply a firewire connection or something else? Are there any tricky technical issues one needs to be aware of?

I'm looking to buy the HVX and Firestore so I would value all the advice you are able to give.

Many thanks,
Chris
Chris Nunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Search Button ^^^
Sam Jankis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 07:41 AM   #3
New Boot

The Firestore has some good points and bad points.

It is a large storage device, which is great for long interviews, or concert type events. Also, I like the sequential numbering system of clips on the firestore. It's not as random as the P2.

The negative things are the 2gb file size limit, on board battery life, and having an external device, which is fine for tripods, bad for handheld.

The 2gb file size limit is the bigger kick in the pants. I understand that the clips line up in edit, but it's just not as nice as having one file.
Robert Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 08:23 PM   #4
Major Player

The 2-gig file limit is just a function of FAT32 format, but your NLE will span those clips. It is not an issue. I have overcome the battery issue of the FS-100 by using a Tekkeon MP3400 (list $159 but priced as low as $119 from newegg.com or tigerdirect.com). You can power the FS-100 all day with that compact device-- and charge the battery at the same time. The Focus 1950 mah battery will also deliver twice the time of the standard battery. I have both the larger battery and the Tekkeon. I also suggest for moounting the FS-100 handheld either a Jimmybox (www.jimmybox.com) or the Firestore cage and backpack from www.geardear.com. Put that on their inexpensive rails... and add their excellent mattebox while you're at it. You can still handle that hand-held. If that is a problem handheld, consider a dvrig pro or dv multirig (www.dvtec.tv).

There... you have a whole set of recommendations for 3rd party HVX products in one paragraph. I've used them all and will vouch for them.

Meanwhile, there is a place both for FS-100 and P2 cards in the HVX workflow. It all depends upon your needs and shooting.

Ned Soltz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Monk
The Firestore has some good points and bad points.

It is a large storage device, which is great for long interviews, or concert type events. Also, I like the sequential numbering system of clips on the firestore. It's not as random as the P2.

The negative things are the 2gb file size limit, on board battery life, and having an external device, which is fine for tripods, bad for handheld.

The 2gb file size limit is the bigger kick in the pants. I understand that the clips line up in edit, but it's just not as nice as having one file.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #5
Tourist

Geardear lead

Thank you, Ned, for telling us about Geardear. Looks good, and look well worth a try - at those prices, can't lose.
Tom
Tom Ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #6
New Boot

firestore reliability

hi,

does anyone know whether the firestore has been upgraded and whether it's a solid media? i heard rumours that it may not be that reliable, would welcome feedback from users, thanks

isabel
Isabel Rocamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

FireStore FS-100 has been updated three times (I think) already, and a big update is due very soon.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders