HVX Monitor Mounting Options - See Image Gallery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old October 21st, 2006, 12:45 PM   #1
Go Go Godzilla

HVX Monitor Mounting Options - See Image Gallery

If you're like me and using an external montior for your HVX then you've probably dealt with the same frustration of trying to hold the monitor while screwing it onto to an arm. And, there are times when the camera is moved that the monitor get loosened by any quick camera moves. I've solved both these problems with a simple and effective solution: use a quick-release plate system!

Since I already have a plethora of Arca-Swiss QR plates and clamps, I mounted a typical lens plate to the bottom of the monitor and a QR clamp to the top of the Noga Arm which is on my Zacuto rig. Voila! Easy on, easy off.

I've also mounted the same QR clamp to one end of a Bogen Magic Arm which is normally used when the camera is on a jib.

The spin-off benefit is that I now can easily place the monitor off-camera anywhere I want using my Arca ball head on another tripod making the monitor height and angle completely independent of the camera itself or the camera tripod. More versatility!

I've enclosed example photos of this setup (no images of the Magic Arm) in the Image Gallery here so others can copy the idea.

This setup will work with just about any QR system; Bogen, Kirk, Really Right Stuff, Arca-Swiss etc.

The monitor on the HVX is the BT-LH900; the color you see on the monitor is exactly as it appears in person. You'll notice the built-in wave-form monitor in the lower right and, it's amazing color response. The Marshall VR70PHDA never looked this good.
Old October 21st, 2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Great idea, Robert! I might have to copy you...
Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:49 AM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Matt,

It's amazing how much time this has already saved me during setup, especially in having the freedom to place the monitor independent of the camera rig.

Before with the Noga or Magic Arm I'd have to make the arm completely loose in order to screw on the monitor and then hold both while I got the height and angle I needed for viewing. That was really clumsy and time consuming because it usually meant multiple moves of the arm to get the right viewing angle. Now, I pre-position the arm where I think it needs to be and slide on the monitor. Done. Probably shaves 5-7 minutes off prep.

With the jib, my only 2 monitor mount options (with the EXFX) was to either use the Magic arm on the monitor "L" bracket attached to the jib or, clamp the arm to one of the legs. Now I can place the monitor-pod exactly where I need it for easy viewing without having the jib move in front of the monitor (vertical moves). That is itself was a lifesaver.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 05:17 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane
Matt,

With the jib, my only 2 monitor mount options (with the EXFX) was to either use the Magic arm on the monitor "L" bracket attached to the jib or, clamp the arm to one of the legs. Now I can place the monitor-pod exactly where I need it for easy viewing without having the jib move in front of the monitor (vertical moves). That is itself was a lifesaver.
Try mounting the magic arm on the back of the jib just before the weights. Now the monitor becomes part of the counterweight. And it puts it in a good position for viewing from a lot of angles. Not perfect, but a good solution.

Chip
Robert Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 08:42 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Matt,

It's amazing how much time this has already saved me during setup, especially in having the freedom to place the monitor independent of the camera rig.

Before with the Noga or Magic Arm I'd have to make the arm completely loose in order to screw on the monitor and then hold both while I got the height and angle I needed for viewing. That was really clumsy and time consuming because it usually meant multiple moves of the arm to get the right viewing angle. Now, I pre-position the arm where I think it needs to be and slide on the monitor. Done. Probably shaves 5-7 minutes off prep.

Robert, I assume you're using the Panasonic 8 incher- isn't it a bit too heavy to have it with the camera?
Old October 24th, 2006, 06:13 AM   #6

Thanks for the nice idea Robert. I think I will give it a try.
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #7
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Monk
Try mounting the magic arm on the back of the jib just before the weights. Now the monitor becomes part of the counterweight. And it puts it in a good position for viewing from a lot of angles. Not perfect, but a good solution.

Chip
That's not a logical solution; once you place the monitor on the vertical moving part of the jib you instantly lose the ability to actually see the monitor during a move. That's why the jib comes with an "L" bracket off to the side, so the monitor does not move with the jib up and down, it only rotates in a fixed position.
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #8
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Perez
Robert, I assume you're using the Panasonic 8 incher- isn't it a bit too heavy to have it with the camera?
It's barely heavier than the Marshall; if it were too much I wouldn't be using it in that configuration.

The beauty of the Zacuto rail system is that since the monitor has it's own mount for the Noga arm you can move it forward or aft to create the optimal balance point and position the arm to put the monitor at or near the CG.

I would not however, mount either the Marshall nor the Panny on the HVX directly; that is way too much front-end weight and requires something in the rear to counterbalance. The Zaucto plate system addresses both issues.
Old October 24th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
That's not a logical solution; once you place the monitor on the vertical moving part of the jib you instantly lose the ability to actually see the monitor during a move. That's why the jib comes with an "L" bracket off to the side, so the monitor does not move with the jib up and down, it only rotates in a fixed position.
You can see the monitor during a vertical move. The "L" Bracket is too far away from a good viewing position, and the offsets with an LH900 is too heavy.
Robert Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #10
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Monk
You can see the monitor during a vertical move. The "L" Bracket is too far away from a good viewing position, and the offsets with an LH900 is too heavy.
Have you actually used this setup and are speaking from experience? Because I've done it several times and it works flawlessly. You don't mount the monitor directly to the "L" bracket, you mount a Magic Arm to the "L" bracket and place the monitor where you need it. The Magic Arm also gets a QR plate for easy monitor mounting/dismount.

And no, you cannot see the monitor once you move up and away because the monitor hood blocks your view - and you can't get a good picture on any external monitor on location without using some form of sunshade. Not only that, but once you physically move the monitor away from your eyes you lose the ability to control focus during a move - something impossible to do if the monitor is actually moving.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders