About to buy Camera Question -- Would Love to hear people's Pitches! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old October 21st, 2006, 07:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

About to buy Camera Question -- Would Love to hear people's Pitches!

OK,

I am about to buy the HVX camerapackage -- mattebox, case, etc...the whole nine. Probably from a local dealer here in Los Angeles.

2 Questions:

1. I could buy from a local Dealer (like Birns and Sawyer or someone else in Los Angeles) and get a decent price and maybe a decent warranty...or buy the whole thing online MUCH cheaper...Thinking about buying the Camera at least from a dealer (in case something goes wrong) and the rest of the goodies from online places to avoid out of state tax and at much cheaper prices. Any thoughts?

2. Secondly, if you vouch or love your mattebox, camera case, tripod, or have a particular feeling about a piece of gear that's a MUST HAVE versus another certain/similar piece of gear-- or which batteries to get, etc... -- any major or minor tid bits of information that you could pass on to someone like me -- had you known what you know now prior to getting your gear -- I would be most appreciative.

As of right now, I am pretty set on getting the marshall 7 inch monitor --- the other pieces of gear -- mattebox, tripod, case - still debating...

Thanks so much for any help in advance -- trying to keep costs low to get to India at X-Mas to do part of our shoot there.

Cheers,
jc
Justin Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:37 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Justin,

All these topics have been covered several times over throughout the forum. Use the "search" feature and look up the plethora of information readily available.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Connor
Thinking about buying the Camera at least from a dealer (in case something goes wrong) and the rest of the goodies from online places to avoid out of state tax and at much cheaper prices. Any thoughts?
I got this one.

You still have to pay a use tax in nearly all states. It is the same price as the sales tax.

It's better to pay it than get audited.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help...

Thanks for the help guys.

Just to clarify -- I read this site every day and love how much info I've learned....and, yes, I did do some searchesof this site on my aforementioned question -- but just wanted to see if anyone had specific preferences after having done some trial and error, that's all.

Thanks again for the sound advice. Cheers.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:54 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Justin,

As far a specific suggestions----everybody will have one and they will cover dozens of different cameras, old and new, and every camera maker there is! Everyone has their prejuduces, brand loyalty, buyers remorse, buyers defense, and wish I could buy it list! That is why it makes little sense to ask, "What's the best camera for me to buy?" This also applies to just about all accessories!

Figure out what you are going to shot, read some posts here, decide what your budget is and figure out all of the accessories that you will need! For most cameras these days you will end up spending about 50 to 100% of the initial purchase price or the camera for accessories-----tripods, , lenses or adapters, batteries, lights, editing equipment, etc.. After you have done that, go to a camera store and put the cameras in your hands and see how they feel to you.

Good Luck!

Mike
Old October 23rd, 2006, 01:58 PM   #7
Major Player

Justin-
Most of the legit dealers are within $200 of each other on the HVX. The internet prices you see for anywhere from $4500 down to $3200 are scams. Regardless of what they will tell you, they're selling grey market(no warranty), take items out of the box and sell them individually, and sell you accessories that don't work on the camera. The end result is you'll pay more....and have a grey market camera with no Barry Green book. I don't want to waste space here but most people on the boards know the scammers and have posted warnings.

Jim Martin
Birns & Sawyer
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #8
Regular Crew

gracias.

great info y'all...

how funny Jim from Birns and Sawyer! --- I just bought my camera from y'all a day ago after reading everyone's thoughts from this site...how funny.

thanks again, i think i have my answers.

cheers,
jc
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #9
Regular Crew

sales tax rebate in CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Connor
OK,

I am about to buy the HVX camerapackage -- mattebox, case, etc...the whole nine. Probably from a local dealer here in Los Angeles.

2 Questions:

1. I could buy from a local Dealer (like Birns and Sawyer or someone else in Los Angeles) and get a decent price and maybe a decent warranty...or buy the whole thing online MUCH cheaper...Thinking about buying the Camera at least from a dealer (in case something goes wrong) and the rest of the goodies from online places to avoid out of state tax and at much cheaper prices. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
jc
CA has a sales tax rebate for television production. I think it saves you 5.25%
See if your CA dealer will accept the form.
http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/pdf/parttelecert.pdf

regards
BT Corwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders