DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   P2 Store (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/79428-p2-store.html)

Paul Brady November 12th, 2006 09:30 AM

P2 Store

Is the P2 storage device buletproof or is their any chance of loosing footage?

David Saraceno November 12th, 2006 11:10 AM

I've read about some issues with the p2 store and Final Cut Pro.

But I'm also interested in these device, and hope we get further input and any resolution of issues.

Sam Jankis November 12th, 2006 11:50 AM

I've never had a problem with mine... and it's been bumped around a bit.

John Jencks November 12th, 2006 02:00 PM

I've never had a problem with mine either. Ocassionally between set-ups on ultralow budget shoots I have to transfer footage while walking, and I've taken to walking much like a steadycam operator to prevent the shake light coming on.
I am a mac user and there's been no problem, even though I'm on a Intel mac and therefore can't use the P2 store manager.
Hope this helps.
John

David Saraceno November 13th, 2006 10:46 AM

John:

What functionality, if any, do you lose by not having the p2 store manager available on the Intel Mac?

Eric Peltier November 13th, 2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Saraceno
John:

What functionality, if any, do you lose by not having the p2 store manager available on the Intel Mac?

the p2 store manager is helpful to see how many cards and which cards (by looking at the card serial) are backed up in it.
it's a tool to check the device, change some of the internal settings, and I think you can use it to erase just one card instead of all at once.

John Jencks November 14th, 2006 03:47 AM

David,
Sorry, I don't know what functionality you loose not being able to use P2 manager, because I haven't had a chance to use it.
I'd like to though, if it would give more control over which cards I can pull off the P2 store rather than having to download them all at once. Which is what I have to do now, or have to spend ages working out which files I've downloaded and which ones I have not.
Hope this makes sence.
Despite this problem I still stand by my P2 Store, it works well and is particullarly useful when shooting on location.
John

Peter Richardson November 14th, 2006 11:26 PM

Mine's been great (knocking on wood) though I am very careful with it. I just wish Panny would come out with a bigger HDD for it.

Peter

Jim Sofranko November 15th, 2006 09:45 PM

Can anyone tell me if the PS store downloads only in real time or is it a faster data download??

Thanks.

Barry Green November 15th, 2006 10:09 PM

Depends on what mode you shoot in. In 1080 mode it's realtime. In 720/24pN mode, it's 2.5 times faster than realtime. In DV mode it's 4x faster than realtime.

Jim Sofranko November 15th, 2006 10:45 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Barry.

Stephen Pruitt November 23rd, 2006 10:42 AM

Mine (with the Intel MacBook Pro) is working flawlessly. I would like that P2 Manager, however, as that it would be nice to be able to wipe one card instead of the whole drive.

Stephen

David Saraceno November 23rd, 2006 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Green
Depends on what mode you shoot in. In 1080 mode it's realtime. In 720/24pN mode, it's 2.5 times faster than realtime. In DV mode it's 4x faster than realtime.

Not certain what these comments by Barry mean?

This is just transferring the contents of the p2 store to your harddrive.

Wouldn't the data transfer be the same regardless of what mode the video was shot in?

Faisal Lutchmedial November 23rd, 2006 12:37 PM

No, because he's talking about footage length in time, not amount of data. 720p 24pn takes up a lot less drive space than 1080i 24p, thus it takes a shorter time to download. DV takes even less space, so again, it is faster to download.

Cristian Olariu April 17th, 2007 04:16 PM

P2 Store on Intel Macs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Pruitt (Post 578581)
Mine (with the Intel MacBook Pro) is working flawlessly. I would like that P2 Manager, however, as that it would be nice to be able to wipe one card instead of the whole drive.

Stephen

I have an Intel MacBook Pro and when I connect the P2Store, it doesn't want to mount the cards. I can see them in Disk Utility, but it won't mount them. Is there anything I need to do, anything I need to install?
Thanks.