DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Problem with QT files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/79471-problem-qt-files.html)

Gary Gates November 12th, 2006 11:48 PM

Problem with QT files

Hello everyone. I have a question. I recently batched some mxf files into QT files from HD log. Everything came out fine except for one thing. Whenever the camera pans, it seems like my image is buzzing. I look at some other footage that we shot from a previous job, and it does the same thing. All of this footage was shot with the same camera. Has anyone experienced this? Is there some sort of setting on the camera itself that we are missing?

We thought it may have been HD log, but we imported the files into FCP, and it did the same thing. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Eric Peltier November 13th, 2006 12:32 AM

what do yo mean by buzzing?
do you mean strobing?
did you shoot 24p ?
if yes, 24p will do that when panning.

Gary Gates November 13th, 2006 01:27 AM

Eric,

thank you for your answer. Yes, I did mean strobbing, but I didnt know the technical term, sorry.

Then I guess this goes without saying, but Im fishing for a miracle. There is no way to fix the already shot clips, right?

Sam Jankis November 13th, 2006 09:14 AM

Slow down your pan and shoot with a faster shutter.

Gary Gates November 13th, 2006 10:42 AM

Thank you

Thank you both for your help, I really appreciate it.

Now, do any of you know if there is any way to fix this in post?

Mike Schrengohst November 13th, 2006 12:05 PM

Try slowing them down...may not be perfect but might salvage the shot?

Eric Peltier November 13th, 2006 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Gates
Thank you both for your help, I really appreciate it.

Now, do any of you know if there is any way to fix this in post?

slowing the footage might help a bit but it's not going to fix the strobing. it will just look a bit less strobe like.
you should shoot 30PN instead, it's a good compromise between gettings the 24p look and still being able to do fast pans.
I hope you can salvage some of the shots.
good luck

R Geoff Baker November 13th, 2006 06:35 PM

Slow down your pan, yes ... but shooting with a faster shutter speed will _enhance_ the strobe effect. If you shoot any shutter speed that is faster than the frame rate, you end up with a temporal 'gap' between frames ... so the camera pans, the frame is taken, the camera pans, the frame is taken -- you get a strobe effect, by definition.

If you shoot the 'proper' shutter speed, the one that matches your frame rate, your pans will be smooth -- the camera never moves except that the frame is being taken.

Slow down your pans, but don't set a faster shutter speed -- unless you want a strobe effect.

GB

Sam Jankis November 13th, 2006 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Geoff Baker
If you shoot the 'proper' shutter speed, the one that matches your frame rate, your pans will be smooth -- the camera never moves except that the frame is being taken.

That's what I meant.

Gary Gates November 14th, 2006 12:04 PM

Thanks for the tips, everyone. We shot 24p for the film-like look, but didnt know it would bring this strobing problem. Shooting at 30PN sounds like something we may have to try. Thanks.