The Best Filmlook settings for HVX? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 30th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The Best Filmlook settings for HVX?

So I have the camera,redrock adpater, nikon lenses(28,35,75-150,300). I shot something for a friend, to help me learn the camera. Got the P2 cards and away we went. Everything we shot looked great, damn close to 16mm maybe even super 16(after some color correction in FCP). However, there was one one scene, in a kitchen, at daylight, that looked VERY video. So I cracked open the book panasonic is giving away when you register and am looking at the fine tuning of the film look settings. So my question is: Do I need to adjust anything other than having the camera on cine D, filmcam, and of course 720pn 24fps? I'm not a shooteer first, but I am learning.

Any feedback would be most welcome.
Mike Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 07:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Get Barry's book.
Sam Jankis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 09:51 AM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Mike,

The "film-look" - like anything else to do with visuals - is very subjective. Some like myself, prefer high-chroma (saturated colors and deep contrast) whereas others prefer a more neutral and flatter response.

However, I did a color-comparison on the HVX between the default camera settings and my own version of a "film look". Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...hvx+color+test

The camera settings used and a link to a downloadable clip is there. Consider this a jump-off point for your own testing/tweaking and you'll find a setting that works best for you.

Barry's HVX Book is also a great resource for understanding how each camera setting affects images.
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Jankis
Get Barry's book.
Wow - if that's the best a "Major Player" can come up with, I guess I'm in the wrong place here.

I thought this forum was different - maybe I was wrong.

Andy
Andy Nickless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:14 AM   #5
Major Player

It is different...
Try this....
FILM CAM
SYNCHO SCAN - 200.0d
Detail - 0
Chroma Level +2
Master Ped -4
CINELIKE V
MATRIX - CINE-LIKE

These settings will get you in the ball-park.
e-mail me to find out how to win Barry's Book.....
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:13 PM   #6
Trustee

Robert is right, This is incredibly subjective, I have a completely different idea of filmlike that Robert or Mike.
For a start, I can't stand cinelike V
You've just got to figure this out to your own taste.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:36 PM   #7
Major Player

And Leonard is right....
I can't stand CineLike D - too noisy.
I end up doing CC on most shots anyway.
Old December 1st, 2006, 01:34 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Whoa! Who doesn't like Cine-D or is it Cine-V? One is noisier than the other, but I can never remember which.
Chris Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 02:23 PM   #9
Major Player

Cine D is great for outdoors scenes with lots
of contrast. As Barry explains it D = Dynamic
Cine - D will flatten your contast but the picture
is a little noisy.
Cine - V is puncher, more contrast....
I will use this setting indoors under lower lighting conditions....
These are personal preferences not gospel...
Some shooters do not like the Cine Gamma settings at all.....
And I have seen some great scenes shot with B-Press Gamma....
Old December 1st, 2006, 03:17 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Get Barry's book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Nickless
Wow - if that's the best a "Major Player" can come up with, I guess I'm in the wrong place here.

I thought this forum was different - maybe I was wrong.
It was not a brush off statement. That book is a tremendous resource for HVX settings. It would take just as many pages of posts (and pictures) here to describe what you can do with the HVX...
Old December 1st, 2006, 04:19 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
It was not a brush off statement. That book is a tremendous resource for HVX settings. It would take just as many pages of posts (and pictures) here to describe what you can do with the HVX...
I don't doubt it's a great book - in fact I intend to buy it myself.

But it was a brushoff statement.

What's the point of this forum if you're just going to tell everyone to read the book?

Andy
Old December 2nd, 2006, 01:58 AM   #12
Major Player

I don't think we're allowed to scan and post copyrighted material on this forum.

"Best Filmlook" means almost nothing... film doesn't have ONE look. The Matrix looks quite different from Charlie's Angels, no? The settings you use will vary depending on EXACTLY which film look you're wishing to emulate. There are many examples in Barry Green's HVX Book. It's free (unless your cam is gray market)... just get it. You can always come back and argue with me that it was a waste of your time. :)
Old December 2nd, 2006, 02:27 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
I don't think we're allowed to scan and post copyrighted material on this forum.
Did anyone ask you to?

Quote:
"Best Filmlook" means almost nothing...
So why does Barry's Book have "many examples"?

Quote:
It's free (unless your cam is gray market)...
Or unless you live anywhere in the world apart from the USA or Australia.
(Check your facts before you post)

Andy
Old December 2nd, 2006, 06:51 AM   #14
Trustee

That's like asking a question about what's the best car.
What we like you may not. It's all subjective.

We've all started with out cameras set to the factory default and we've all played around with the settings until we found a look we like for a situation.

Barry's book has many film look settings that you can load into your HVX to enable YOU to decide what is the best film look.

Mike gave you his settings but I like to drop the master ped even farther like -8 and punch up the chroma.

We have no idea which of the two you would like better. So the best thing to do is to experiment and find the settings that look best to you.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:24 AM   #15
Go Go Godzilla

Check it at the door...

Andy,

With very few exception those of us who post on the DVinfo.net forum do so with the intent to share information and help others. Period. None of us claim to know everything and often will post what we think is correct information and later retract it when we learn otherwise (I'm guilty of this myself). It's called responsible posting, and I stand behind both the original forum mission as stated by Chris Hurd and, the "regulars" herein that I've come to know in the past year.

From the get-go your posts on this thread have had a provocative and even angry tone and smacks of someone spoiling for a fight rather than a person willing to glean whatever information is shared.

Sam's original post - albeit short - has merit. Barry's book is worthwhile reading regardless whether it's free or if you have to purchase it.

The method in which anyone shares information on this forum is based on 3 things: 1) Their own knowledge and experience; 2) Their personal communicative style; 3) The time that person actually has available to share information - and for most of us working pro's time is money so we tend to make forum posting a fun thing in our work week.

Your original post: "...if that's the best a major player can come up with..." has no valid purpose. It's not asking a question, it's not sharing information and it's not doing anything but showing arrogance, ignorance and just being rude. "Blatherskite", is a good term for it.

In short, your attitude needs adjusting, and if this is the best you have to offer our community then take it elsewhere because I for one won't stand for it. First and last warning.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders