Best way to edit - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old December 5th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Perez
I'm a Mac person too, but be aware that there have been issues with P2 card imports, P2 stores not mounting and corupt data on the MAC platform concerning the P2 workflow. This is not happening on the PC side of the equation.

Having said that, I had previously invested a lot on a private g5 solution so don't intend to move away soon, and am taking the risk, having had a problem with the P2 store (not mounting certain partition) and in a p2 card import (copied to hardisk first), where one file was corrupted. (since I had already formated the p2 card, that particular clip was lost.)

The best current system (never heard issues with it) seems to be Edius Broadcast, by canopus. I love FCP, with Motion, soundtrack pro and Livetype really making things easier and faster for me in a couple of jobs, but it seems like FCP is not the most reliable solution for P2- maybe with FCP 6...
I have Edius as well....it has it's own set of issues.
You can use the .mxf files natively but you must copy
them to a drive before you can edit. And Marcus at dvfilm.com
has seen issues with the Panasonic DVCPRO codec that is required if you use CineForm. I do not know if Edius shares this same issue??
Old December 5th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #17
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schrengohst
I have Edius as well....it has it's own set of issues.
You can use the .mxf files natively but you must copy
them to a drive before you can edit.
Why? I demo editing straight from the card. As cards get bigger, the whole concept of copying to a drive is going to disappear from our workflow.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #18
Major Player

Why? Because most of the shoots I do are at least 6-60 cards.
Sure you could do demos but most productions have to copy the
cards to a hard drive to continue shooting....
And do you dump them to an external that will be fast enough to edit DVCPRO HD? A laptop internal drive might be big enough to copy the cards for a days shoot but no way could you edit on a laptop with a full drive.
What I do is carry FAT 32 formatted externals and as we shoot I dump to those. I can then use that to import the P2 cards to my MAC using FCP 5.1.2 and I can mark in and outs and decide if I want audio with the video or just the video. Once the QT video is copied to my G-Raid I can edit direct from these with Firewire 800 - no dropped frames. I have a back-up on the FAT 32 drive and sometimes the producer with take that FAT 32 drive and on his PC he can view and log with the Pana P2 viewer.
We don't import into FCP directly from the cards....
On some occassions we have just to do quick edits....
But we always copy the P2 to another hard drive......
So with Edius it is nice to be able to look at a P2 volume but I can do that with P2 log on the MAC. Edius does not cut it for us an editing tool that we can do paying gigs with. FCP continues to push forward and the fact that DVDSP, Live Type, Motion and SoundTrack Pro are all integrated just makes more sense for us.
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #19
RED / Scarlet / DVXUser

What's the problem with copying to a HDD drive. You had to do it when you worked with tape. The difference now, is that I can transfer an 8 gig card over at 1.5 - 2 times faster than real-time, when working with 1080p footage. Faster, of course with 720pn footage. Instead of realtime, with p2 and EDIUS it is faster than realtime transfer, and I can easily find and copy only the clips I want.

Jason
Jason Ramsey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders