HVX - Sennheiser ME66 - On-Camera Light - Polarizer -- help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old December 3rd, 2006, 06:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HVX - Sennheiser ME66 - On-Camera Light - Polarizer -- help!

I tried the search forums for some of my queries but could not find what I was looking for. Hoping someone here can help...

Working on a mock/documentary project with the HVX -- Bought a wide angle lens (century Optics) and bought a custom Matte Box for the HVX from Birns and Sawyer in Los Angeles.

I need a polarizer and wondering if it's better to get one fitted for the wide angle lens or the Matte Box? Which would be better?

I also plan on recording sound with a sound professional -- but want a better on camera mic in case I want to use some of the original sound for certain parts. I have read in different forums that the Sennheiser ME66 was a good one -- basically want a solid camera mic mounted in case that audio turns out OK on MOS shots where the audio might be usable or interesting to use...as well as some instances when I don't have a sound guy present in remote locations, and where a solid mic might be able to work out really well.

Lastly, I am trying to find a great on-camera Light -- saw a few Anton Bauer ones, trying to get the best bang for buck/and best options people have found or a favorite of there's.

Thanks in advance for your help -- going to India in 3 weeks with my DP and am a little bt of a newbie on some of this gear.

Cheers!
jc
Justin Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 04:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I recently bought a set of filters on a well known internet bidding site. They are of decent condition and very good price. One of the better made filters was the linear polarizer that I've been using for quite alot of shots.
Not sure if they are still available, but they should be findable with a simple search for HVX and filters.
Oh, and they are the type that screw into the lens, rather than matte box style, this is good for me because I don't always use a matte mox, but I want to be able to use my filters in any situation.
Strangely enough the filters were shipped from India.
John
Old December 4th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Me66

I use an ME66 mounted on camera for interviews. It has great side and background noise rejection, so it will work well for you. It definitely needs a muff if you are outside tho.
Dick Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have an Audio Technica AT-4051 mounted on-camera with a Lightwave EQ wind fur to protect against wind noise.

Here's a sample of what it sounds like at a distance of about 5 feet:

http://hawaiigoesfishing.com/videos/at4051a_sample.mov

I also use a pair of ATW-101 wireless units with Countryman lavs but in this particular instance I used the audio track strictly from the AT-4051.
Old December 4th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Right on y'all!

Great ideas/info guys!

thansk so much -- that helps.

one last question --

Living in Los Angeles, with great sound guys here, won't their LAV mic's be better than mnine? Also, is it smart/safe to back up all audio with a DAT? And should I use a clapper as well in order to sync up later, or are most people just booming/lav'ing into the camera?

I ask so many questions because I know how important sound is, and being an audiophile myslef, as well as seeing many, MANY low budget films get killed because of bad sound....I don't want that to happen to mine.

I am willing to pay for a great sound guy here, since I know how good sound is of value -- however -- I am wondering what is the optimal situation i want from a sound guy -- Mixer, lav's, dat back-up? Unsure and would love any info/addvice you have.

Cheers,
jc
Justin Connor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders