Variable Frame rate questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old December 4th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #1
Trustee

Variable Frame rate questions

I am sure this is answered in Barry's book but I haven't received mine yet, so if anyone can help in the meantime I would be appreciative.

If I want to achieve a super 8mm look what frame rate is best? If i set 18 fps then when I play back it is too fast, if I slowed this down in the edit, would I then get the look I am after?

Also is it possible to get sound on any of the variable frame rates, e.g. 24p or is this impossible?

Thanks

Phil
Old December 4th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #2
James Jones

Variable Fram rate questions

I would say try 20fps and see if that slows it up a little. Also if you are using variable frame rates in "native" mode, then no audio is recorded.

James
Old December 4th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #3
Trustee

when using film mode and shutter angles. Is there any real difference between this and video mode with shutter speed. Optically does it make ANY difference or is it purely a labelling thing?
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

It's primarily labeling (in that you could accomplish the same basic thing using the syncro scan shutter), but if you're in FILM CAM mode and using variable frame rates the shutter adapts to whatever frame rate you're running at (same as a film camera would). So it's very handy for getting proper motion blur without having to sit down with a calculator to try to figure out what the proper exposure time should be.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders