HVX vs DVX in low light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HVX vs DVX in low light

Those who have graduated from the DVX to the HVX this question is for you. Does the HVX have a lower light capacity than the DVX?

Is there a shutter/image problem or difference when shooting 1/24 in film mode vs. 1/30 in video mode? Which is best for creating slo-mo in post if shooting on tape?
Michael Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Michael, the HVX is as good or better than the DVX for low-light in my experience, but then low-light situations are something I avoid as much as possible. It does happen some of the dance pieces I've filmed, so this is what I'm drawing from.

If you are shooting on tape with the HVX, the absolute best way to get slo-mo is to shoot 720P using the variable frame rates and down-convert to tape.

If you are talking about using a camera other than the HVX200, you can shoot 60i and use this tutorial's method to convert in post:

http://rarevision.com/articles/slow_motion.php#
Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

The HVX is not as good as the DVX in low light scenarios. The DVX is a stop faster when in progressive mode, and two stops faster when in interlaced mode.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:40 PM   #4
Major Player

My bad! Learn something every day...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders