DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Help with format transfer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/83291-help-format-transfer.html)

Micah Brooke January 6th, 2007 12:52 PM

Help with format transfer

Hi, I am currently finalizing a short film of mine and plan on submitting it to various film festivals.

I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions as to what format works well with the HVX footage. A film transfer is pretty much out of the question as the expense is too high. I was wondering about formats such as HDCAM, BETA, etc -
formats that are the norm at Film Festivals.

The film was shot in 720p if that helps.

Thanks guys.

Robert Lane January 7th, 2007 11:32 AM

The most important thing is to export it as uncompressed. Although you shot and edited in a compressed codec if you then export it out in the same codec it will be re-compressed again and you'll lose quite a bit of color and detail.

Any 4:4:4 uncompressed format will do well.

Ned Soltz January 7th, 2007 05:41 PM

This all depends upon the format in which the festival wants the footage. If the festival will accept DVCPRO HD footage, just output via firewire to a Panasonic deck.

You are not indicating which NLE and platform you are using, but on the Mac, if you have a Kona 3, you can do a real time uprez to HDCAM and record directly to HDCAM deck. Or, send it to a post house that has that capability. It really should not be terribly expensive (certainly only a fraction of film transfer).

But the question is what the festivals want.

Ned Soltz

Mike Schrengohst January 7th, 2007 07:41 PM

Some festivals have started using the pseudo HD players
like Buffalo, i/o data etc.....
You can playback either WMV HD or a transport stream....
We just created some 1920x1080 transport streams for
a universities visitor center. The footage looks great on
50" plasmas and they have one feed going to a projector
showing on a 10' screen.....
The JVC i/o data player only costs $385, much cheaper
than even renting an HDCAM deck for one day.

Micah Brooke January 9th, 2007 12:26 AM

Thanks everyone

Thanks for the responses guys, you've been helpful.

"The most important thing is to export it as uncompressed. Although you shot and edited in a compressed codec if you then export it out in the same codec it will be re-compressed again and you'll lose quite a bit of color and detail.

Any 4:4:4 uncompressed format will do well."

Yeah, I'm beginning to notice that mistake. Initially the clips were compressed with Cineform HD, then QT, then I corrected everything in After Effects, then cut it all together in Premiere.

This is a dumb question but if you export a compressed clip with degraded quality as uncompressed, will the picture quality increase?