Low light - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:41 PM   #16
Barry Wan Kenobi

The HVX200 is going to be about 2 stops faster than the V1, and about 2 stops slower than the PD170.

Even so, how hard is it to have at least an on-camera light? A $5 camping LED light would do more for your video than all the "low light performance" arguing that goes on out there... look at this link:
http://flolight.com/miclight.htm

Those guys are charging $149, but you can buy it for $5 off ebay; just search for 48 LED camping light.

I'm not saying this is a "good" light, it's not. I'm saying that the idea of "I can't have any lights" doesn't have to be true; this $5 camping LED light is *infinitely* better than not having enough light to get a shot with. Cameras are light-gathering instruments; if you feed them enough light they'll reward you, if you starve them they won't deliver their best results.

It's quite blue, for daylight rendition you'd want to gel it with something like a 1/2 or full CTO gel, but for a total investment of under $10 (light, gel, and some AA batteries) you'd have a small portable in-pocket solution that could bail you out of unacceptable lighting conditions. Obviously you should get a proper video light if at all possible, I'm just showing an extreme example here to show you that it's possible to get a workable solution for extremely little money that will bail you out of otherwise prohibitively-low-light shooting scenarios.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 10:02 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks Barry...

That's a good point. I've got a good wired light kit but haven't yet made a proper investigation into camera mounted stuff. I hate those spot lights that wash out the foreground. That LED looks interesting. I'll have to see what's available over here.
Steve Nettleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Oh boy...I learn something new every day...

It's amazing for the price...i mean, it looks decent even with only one light source (from the camera).

I imagine it could look very good using 3 or 4 of those little light kits. (with gels for correct color temp).

thanks Barry!

Not a bad idea at all !!!!!!
VERY USEFULL
Antoine Fabi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders