P2 card backup to dvd at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 11th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

P2 card backup to dvd

Has anyone copied a 8gig card to a dual layer dvd as a back up? Did you use HD LOG or how did you do it. I am interested in archiving my footage. Thanks
Paul Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I don't think this route is the best way to go. Sounds like a lot of DVDs. Why not archive to hard drive or DLT tape instead.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #3
Trustee

While I don't have any 8 gig cards yet, I back up all my footage on DVD's.
I've had to many hard drives crash on me to trust having 300 gig of one of a kind footage go bye-bye.
I buy 200 packs of printable Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD's for around $70 and make two copies. It may take some time but I feel better about loosing a DVD or two than to seeing a whole trip destoyed because of a drive crash.
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Paul, I also use DVD-Rs for backing up P2 data. I also have it online on hard drives as long as I'm editing it, but that goes without saying...

Although I am shooting with 8GB cards I split up the contents of the VIDEO folder so I can burn the data onto two 4.7GB DVD-Rs. If I ever need to get the data back, it's just a few drag and drops and I'm ready.

DVD-Rs are very economical compared to the other solutions, and if you use high quality media like Taiyo Yuden, store the discs properly, and employ redundancy with a 2nd copy (preferably stored offsite), you'll be pretty safe. DVD-Rs are also not very large, in 2-disc jewel cases they do not take up much more space than stacks of DV tapes.

I don't use dual layer dvds yet; I have a friend in the CD&DVD manufacturing business who is not completely confident in DL DVD media for archival purposes, yet...besides, they take longer to write and cost almost 3 or 4 times as much.

While tape drive is a mature technology, since "tape" means "linear" the prospect of having to restore some data sounds a little tricky. Plus I like having a tangible, self-contained hard copy of every card I shoot, which makes organizing and retrieving data painless. This method works well for me, but other folks have different methods that they are probably very happy with.
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #5
Major Player

I occasionally do this with DL discs.

Works well, but I also have redundant HD backups
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #6
Go Go Godzilla

The bottom line is, that there is no single pefect storage solution regardless what the original media was however, HDD's are in fact the most cost-effective and reliable solution with current technology.

If you don't shoot much and or don't work on projects with hundreds or thousands of hours of footage then a DVD backup scheme will work fine. But when you consider that it would take over 150 single-layer DVD's to equal the storage capacity of just one 750GB drive then the practicality of individual discs becomes unweildy both in physical storage and cataloging.

For example, our cataloging/archiving scheme is to use external FW drives in enclosures that allow for the bare drives to be removed/replaced as they fill up. We have a primary backup enclosure and, a secondary backup which is a clone of the first. In this way we have both redundancy and diversity. It's important to note that both backup enclosures don't get powered on until it's time to make another transfer or copy. The chances of both backup enclosures having a catastrophic failure are astronomical.

Regardless of which scheme or archiving method you adopt the single greatest point of security is to have a physcially diverse copy of your backups.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders