Windows Laptop as a Hard Disk Recorder for HVX-200? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:02 AM   #1
Tourist

Windows Laptop as a Hard Disk Recorder for HVX-200?

I know the info is in here some where. I would like to use my Dell laptop to record the firewire stream of my HVX-200 I have an external SATA drive(s) conected through the 54mm Extreme port that seems to be fast enought to grab the data. Is there a capture program available or does anyone recommend a particular editing program that would lend itself to a Windows based laptop. I know that I can do it with the new Macs but wish to stay on the Windows platform.. Also, has anyone had and experience with Avid Express HD on a laptop??

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 10:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The only software I know of for Windows is DV Rack HD. I do know you cannot go directly from the camera to disk real-time, you must have some 3rd party app. Otherwise, you would record to P2 card and transfer using USB.
Dick Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:43 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Bruce,

I can't offer any help on the PC side, but you can absolutely do this with either a Powerbook or MacBookPro and FCP no problem. In fact I created a highly detailed guide (built around the last version of the Powerbook) for exactly this scenario.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:20 PM   #4
Tourist

MAC Capture

Thanks.
I read the thread you posted several months ago. Just not eager to invest in another operating system and editing program at this time
Great article.
Bruce Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

<In fact I created a highly detailed guide>

Robert, perhaps I'm challenged by the search function. While I found a number of posts from you about this, I did not find the "highly detailed guide".

Do you have a link, and will this also work with a Mac Pro and FCP?

thanks,
Old January 24th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Campbell
<In fact I created a highly detailed guide>

Robert, perhaps I'm challenged by the search function. While I found a number of posts from you about this, I did not find the "highly detailed guide".

Do you have a link, and will this also work with a Mac Pro and FCP?
It will work with a MacBook as well.

Or you can buy Scopebox (google it) and not even use FCP.

Basically, set your cam settings to 720/24p (no native) and FCP to the same settings in the sequence. Log and capture must be set to non controllable device.

Hit capture now and esc.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #7
RED / Scarlet / DVXUser

You can do it on a PC. The best capture software out there for it is DV Rack HD 2.0.

I am pretty sure you can do live capture with AVID, though I am not positive.

I know you can do it with EDIUS Broadcast. I have done it with a setup similar to yours. Core Duo laptop. Expresscard/eSATA setup. Works great. Capture 1080 like nothing. 720 in EDIUS will not currently work (at least in NTSC land) due to a bug that remains unfixed in the latest update to EDIUS.

But, yes you can live capture with a laptop to eSATA drives. You can do it with DV Rack, or your NLE (if your NLE supports live capture). pn modes cannot be captured via firewire, however, due to limitations of the firewire interface.

later,
jason
Jason Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

David, thanks -

I've heard about scopebox, just didn't want to buy anything else. I'll give it a whirl.
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #9
Tourist

Thanks you

Ordered DV Rack 2.0 HD per all your sugestions. Will report back
Thanks again
Bruce Solomon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders