DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Panasonic AG-HVX200 upgrade?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/85142-panasonic-ag-hvx200-upgrade.html)

Aidan Wynne January 29th, 2007 04:10 PM

Panasonic AG-HVX200 upgrade??

When will the successor to the AG-HVX200 be?
Any guesses??

Robert Lane January 29th, 2007 10:44 PM

Aidan,

Welcome to the forum!

If you're thinking of "upgrade" as in the next logical step-up from a handheld form factor you don't have long to wait; the HPX500 will be out this summer.

If you mean the version "A" of the HVX there's nothing to indicate it is coming anytime soon.

Aidan Wynne January 30th, 2007 06:51 AM

Thanks Robert

I meant the next version of the HVX200.
It is such an impressive camera from what I have read that I intended buying two. Having bought the 20Canon digital camera and missing the 30D by 6 weeks, I don't want to spend 10,000 euros and have the same thing happen here.

Two 500s would be too big a jump for me pricewise.

Earl Thurston January 30th, 2007 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aidan Wynne
Having bought the 20Canon digital camera and missing the 30D by 6 weeks, I don't want to spend 10,000 euros and have the same thing happen here.

No need to worry about that. After the HVX200 was announced, it took about a year before it made it into anyone's hands. No successor has even been announced so you're pretty safe to assume you'd be using the HVX200 for some time to come.

Jon Fairhurst January 30th, 2007 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aidan Wynne
Having bought the 20Canon digital camera and missing the 30D by 6 weeks, I don't want to spend 10,000 euros and have the same thing happen here.

If you don't need it right away, you might wait until the mid-April NAB announcements. You never know what they might announce at the show.

Then again, that will be three months closer to the release of the HVX replacement, whenever that might be. Maybe you should buy an HVX immediately! :)

Paulo Teixeira January 30th, 2007 08:02 PM

There is a promotion that gives you a free 8 gig P2 card and a book with CD written by one of DVinfo’s elite posters Barry Green. The promotion is until March 31. This can give you an indication that Panasonic will indeed announce a new camcorder in NAB but then again if they do announce it, the camcorder may not ship until June or even July.
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...odel=AG-HVX200

Sergio Perez January 30th, 2007 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
There is a promotion that gives you a free 8 gig P2 card and a book with CD written by one of DVinfo’s elite posters Barry Green. The promotion is until March 31. This can give you an indication that Panasonic will indeed announce a new camcorder in NAB but then again if they do announce it, the camcorder may not ship until June or even July.
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...odel=AG-HVX200

Yes indeed, but I suspect this new camcorder is going for AVC Intra and P2, and you'll have to wait (like we did) for non-linear editing systems to catch up in order to edit natively. The current HVX workflow is cemented, and the camera produces great pictures. It has great features, and the features it doesn't have, like interchangeable lenses or flipable LCD's, you can get excelent workarounds from third parties.

I've bought mine for almost a year now, and haven't regreted one bit. My workflow is excelent now that I have Final Cut 5.1.2, and my next purchase will be the Mac internal Blu-ray drive (which comes with Toast 8).

If the HVX200a came out with the avc intra codec, or with Higher resolution chips, I would probably look for a clearing stock HVX200.

Martin Iverson January 30th, 2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

There is a promotion that gives you a free 8 gig P2

Last I heard the promotion is US only. Don't expect to by the camera in Europe and get a free P2 card

Luis Caffesse January 31st, 2007 01:23 AM

Quote:

There is a promotion that gives you a free 8 gig P2 card and a book with CD written by one of DVinfo’s elite posters Barry Green. The promotion is until March 31. This can give you an indication that Panasonic will indeed announce a new camcorder in NAB

I'm not certain I would take that as an indication that they will announce a new camcorder. It seem much more likely to me that it indicates they will announce 16GB P2 cards.

But that's just my guess.
I don't think we'll see an HVX update this year ... then again, I just got mine today...so I sure hope we don't.
:)

Robert Lane January 31st, 2007 07:32 AM

Sergio, Luis,

Panny has already announced their new P2 cams, the HPX2000 & 500. The 2000 has started shipping and expect there to be a working model of the 500 at NAB. As mentioned earlier, although we'd all love to see the "A" version of the HVX there have been no hints from Panny - as of yet - that one is on the way.

Will Kinsinger March 13th, 2007 11:16 PM

Would they announce an "A" version unless they were just about to release it for sale? Didn't the DVX100a just pop up out of nowhere?

Along that vein, is there a place to put up suggestions for the "A" version. To date the one thing that really cripples this camera, in my opinion, is the LCD screen. I would gladly shell out more money for just that simple improvement.

Fingers crossed for NAB announcement,

William

Robert Lane March 13th, 2007 11:34 PM

With respect to the "wish list" of upgrades/features for the HVX they've been posted time and again all over this forum and to be sure, Panasonic watches these boards.

And while nobody except Jan & the Japan engineers knows exactly what the future holds for the HVX don't hold your breath about an "A" version HVX announcement at NAB; instead the focus is on the 2 new P2 cams, the HPX2000 and 500.

Will Kinsinger March 14th, 2007 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane (Post 641361)
With respect to the "wish list" of upgrades/features for the HVX they've been posted time and again all over this forum

Understood. I did look around here for one and nothing obvious popped up under search. Knowning it exists I will deepen my search. It seems like a good idea for a stickie.

Probably right about the upcoming NAB not holding much hope but finger crossing not nearly as fatal as breath holding.

William

Jan Crittenden Livingston March 14th, 2007 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira (Post 616269)
The promotion is until March 31. This can give you an indication that Panasonic will indeed announce a new camcorder in NAB but then again if they do announce it, the camcorder may not ship until June or even July.

Actually it only means that we are doing a promotion. If we show anything new at NAB it will be the HPX500.

Thanks,

Jan

Gonzague Alexandre March 16th, 2007 08:19 AM

How to Avoid Motion blut with Static HVX and Moving Object

---
Sorry folks I made a mistake I wanted to create a new thread.... Not to myself, TAKE some rest Gonzague !