dark scene footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:51 AM   #1
Major Player

dark scene footage

My favourite scenes are usually those, which are lit dimmly. I didnt know that HVX aint good in those situations before i bought it. I have seen a lot brilliant footage out of HVX(+35mm)in bright light, but haven't seen that much of dark scene footage. Maybe anybody has a link or something, where i could see some more?

thanks
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:04 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Andzei,

If you search the threads you'll find many posts about the HVX and low light, of which this line of information is included: No digi-video camera is a good low light performer when compared to film. The HVX is the noisiest of the handheld HD cameras and the only way you can compensate for this is by creatively adding light.

If you intend to shoot dark location scenes without introducing any artificial light source then you most likely won't like what you get in output. And forget about using a 35mm lens adapter in those situations; on average you're losing about 2-4 f-stops of light depending on the adapter and lens combination which all but makes available-low light shooting impossible.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:20 AM   #3
Major Player

its just hard to switch cameras, im used to super turbo good light sensity VX2100 and now i have exact opposite...

Im not planning to shoot without extra lights(maybe only outside) and i cannot go without M2. So i think the only solution is to do everything in post...

ok, ill search the forum...
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I just posted some test footage of a spec commercial I'm going to shoot. Check it out. I only used a 2k halogen in an all black room. I put the setting on V instead of D because that setting handles the black better. The thread is named"test footage with hvx and redrock m2".

It looked good to me, very little noise and the blacks held up well. I' have some other low light stuffthat I just shot that came out well to and that was in D not V setting.
Mike Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #5
Major Player

Just make sure to turn detail coring to +2 or 3 and you're set. The HVX is not as good as, say, the sony fx1 in low light, but is not unnusable. I'm shooting a short film that's entirely shot at night. I'm shooting mainly 1080p and shutter at 25.

Overall, I'm Very impressed with the results.
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've also posted some low light footage using the HVX with a Brevis35 in low light using Cine D. It looks pretty good and it hasn't been color corrected or played with at all in post. The thread is here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=86287
Ken Willinger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders