DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Best Editing Tutorial For Mac-FCP-P2 Workflow (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/86188-best-editing-tutorial-mac-fcp-p2-workflow.html)

Justin Connor February 10th, 2007 10:19 PM

Best Editing Tutorial For Mac-FCP-P2 Workflow

Hola,

I am trying to find out how to learn editing and set-up a time line in FCP to load in my P2 Footage into my MAC Book Pro and FCP.

Is there a tutorial or best editing guide/DVD for me to get/find out about? I have the FCP tutorial DVD but was unsure if that would cover the p2 stuff. I also have the Barry Green book, but my DP has it right now...Any ideas?

Also, I am shooting in 720/24p, and was shooting my initial footage (In India) in that mode...however, my editor said that I screwed up and should have shot in 'Squeeze' mode instead, that by shotting in letterbox I lose some of what I wouldn't having shot in 'squeeze' mode...Any thoughts?

I haven't gotten to the narrative portion of the film, but would like to know now what is the best mode for shooting my music/narrative/documentary project in, so that I can go to 'squeeze' mode if that's best for my end result in terms of quality, etc..

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm a newbie and i appreciate it!

Cheers.
Justin

Robert Lane February 11th, 2007 08:20 AM

Justin,

If you were at the Abel Cine presentation this past Thursday you would have seen some tips about how to work with FCP & P2 in my P2 workflow Keynote. Several people came up to me later and asked if there was a guide specific to this workflow, and I've given some thought to publishing one. Which I might.

However, the next time I'm at a So Cal dealer for another consultation I can alert you that I'm there and we can go over some methods.

Mike Schrengohst February 11th, 2007 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Connor
Hola,

I am trying to find out how to learn editing and set-up a time line in FCP to load in my P2 Footage into my MAC Book Pro and FCP.

Is there a tutorial or best editing guide/DVD for me to get/find out about? I have the FCP tutorial DVD but was unsure if that would cover the p2 stuff. I also have the Barry Green book, but my DP has it right now...Any ideas?

Also, I am shooting in 720/24p, and was shooting my initial footage (In India) in that mode...however, my editor said that I screwed up and should have shot in 'Squeeze' mode instead, that by shotting in letterbox I lose some of what I wouldn't having shot in 'squeeze' mode...Any thoughts?

I haven't gotten to the narrative portion of the film, but would like to know now what is the best mode for shooting my music/narrative/documentary project in, so that I can go to 'squeeze' mode if that's best for my end result in terms of quality, etc..

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm a newbie and i appreciate it!

Cheers.
Justin

Hey Robert,
Look forward to that...many shooters have asked about that.
I will point them your way.
As far as Letterbox vs. Squeeze - in 720 it only records in 16:9
In 480 you can shoot letterbox or squeeze.
The native recording size of DVCPRO HD in 720 is 960x720....
FCP internally resizes it to 1280x720.....
Shooting 720 24pN and then editing 720 24p will give you great results.

Justin Connor February 13th, 2007 12:19 AM

awesome.

Robert,

PLEASE let me know when you come to so cal again.

ppreciate all the help.

cheers,
j