HPX2000 - 5 pin audio question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 15th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #1
Major Player

HPX2000 - 5 pin audio question

I've noticed that the front end of the HPX has a 5 pin audio connection for a stereo mic.

Just wondering if anyone has converted 5 pin input down to 3 pin XLR safely & successfully, sending phantom for legacy mics, splitting a mono mic to both channels, etc?

I know this camera isn't out yet, but I didn't think this was the first one to employ the design (a nice one, but a temporary gotcha out of the box if you don't get the mic).

I have a Schoeps shotgun that I like to use, and would rather plug it in the front, than end up snapping off a port in the back.

Now these are good problems if this is indeed a complaint (not) - eh? This should be a great cam...
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #2
New Boot

Stereo (5-pin) XLR to 2 channel 3-pin XLR pigtail splitters are readily available and are usually 6" long. I'm not aware of an adapter that is about the size of a XLR gender changer, that can convert the 5-pin to a single channel 3-pin.
San Francisco, CA
www.EMBStudios.com
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Wrangler

Shawn,

As Paul stated, adapter pigtails are available. My XDCAM HD camera also has the 5 pin XLR for front stereo mic.

Also, if you're worried about snapping a connector off in the back, look into using a right angle XLR connector and a coiled cord. The right angle connector points downwards and would be difficult to snap off. The coiled cord helps because if you trip over it, the cord will stretch before ripping the connector loose.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks much for the replies.

In terms of pigtails, I use an adaptor to split the channels out of the back of the 5-pin out on my SPX800 to feed decks, etc (5 pin out to (2) 3-pin XLR's) - I'm assuming you're talking about the same kid of thing (a 1 in, 2 out split which probably share the ground)?

I'm also guessing that with a pigtail you'd have to choose either left or right channel (based on where you hooked up to the tail), and perhaps duplicate the channel inside the cam menu? I didn't know if there was a barrel adaptor to mix a mono mic to both sides, or if that would degrade the signal, cause phase issues, silly things I shouldn't be talking about, etc.

Probably not worth all the consideration - just get a right angle like you are suggesting and go into the back, and again, good problems - I'll probably just budget for the stereo mic anyway - just like hanging the Schoeps, which could always be a choice too.

Should be a busy booth at NAB again - lots of new toys on their line coming.
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders