shoot HD and burn it to blu-ray discs? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #1
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 7
shoot HD and burn it to blu-ray discs?

first, I'd like to say I am very happy I found this board. there is a ton of information here, much of which is beyond my understanding as a noob to this field. I am however considering an entrance into this world. I would like any input any of you have on what i am trying to do as outlined below. Thanks!

I want to be able to shoot high-def video of automotive press conferences and in-transit vehicles, and then create my own high-def dvd's (blu-ray seems best given what I've found). Here is the equipment I am looking at right now:

Panasonic AG-HVX200 Camcorder- $ $4,599.00 No point in me talking about this camera. You all know it's good and bad points.

Bravo SE Blu (Blu-ray Disc™/DVD±drive)-$2995.00

VAIO® HD Video Editing System VGC-RM1 -$3499.00

What do you think? Will I be able to shoot true HD video and burn it to blu-ray discs? Any thoughts and/or suggestions? Also, is there any way to apply filters to the panasonic (like polarization or IR)?

I would love to hear from people who have really used this camera. Thanks again!

Last edited by Aaron Steele; February 16th, 2007 at 10:50 AM.
Aaron Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 117
Your quoted price on the HVX seems low ball. Be sure you are purchasing from an authorized Panasonic dealer if you want a valid warranty. There are a lot of grey market cameras out there.
Dick Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #3
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Campbell
Your quoted price on the HVX seems low ball. Be sure you are purchasing from an authorized Panasonic dealer if you want a valid warranty. There are a lot of grey market cameras out there.

It was a ballpark price from an online store so I could get somewhat close to actual store price, but I would be buying from an authorized dealer to make sure I got a valid warranty as well as some basic training on the camera. Thank you for your insight though.
Aaron Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Inland Northwest
Posts: 490
That price is at least $600.00 lower than any Panasonic authorized dealer sells for.

If the dealer is not on Panasonic's list as authorized, no 8gb card, no book, no US service, no US Warranty, and you probably won't get the cam either.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greeley, CO
Posts: 63
Hello,

Welcome to the board. In theory you'll be able to deliver genuine HD content if you shoot DVCPRO HD, edit DVCPRO HD and deliver to Blue-ray. Shooting (HVX200) and editing (FCP, Avid, Adobe) DVCPRO HD is easy, but the delivery to Blue-ray part is much more difficult.

There are few authoring applications and almost none can author advanced navigation and scripting features of Blue-ray (Sonic, Avid DVD and Toast for example). You should wait to buy Blue-ray authoring tools until you have a chance to see the Blue-ray authoring options at NAB 2007. You can get started shooting HD content using the HVX200 then edit it with FCP, Avid or Adobe tools. Then just deliver it to the web or SD DVD until the right Blue-ray authoring tools become available. As a note, Sonic Scenarist can author both Blue-ray and HD-DVD formats with full features. But, it's a thick program with a generous learning curve and a dedicated workstation required. You can still use Photoshop files for menus however. Finally, keep in mind that it's hard to find people with a Blue-ray or HD-DVD appliance in their office or home right now.

Good luck,
Cale
Cale Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Saraceno
That price is at least $600.00 lower than any Panasonic authorized dealer sells for.
I paid exactly $400 more than that quote from an authorized dealer, received great service, and got the free 8GB card not to mention the fabulous book. You have to shop very carefully.
Martin Iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:56 PM   #7
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale Rogers
Hello,

Welcome to the board. In theory you'll be able to deliver genuine HD content if you shoot DVCPRO HD, edit DVCPRO HD and deliver to Blue-ray. Shooting (HVX200) and editing (FCP, Avid, Adobe) DVCPRO HD is easy, but the delivery to Blue-ray part is much more difficult.

There are few authoring applications and almost none can author advanced navigation and scripting features of Blue-ray (Sonic, Avid DVD and Toast for example). You should wait to buy Blue-ray authoring tools until you have a chance to see the Blue-ray authoring options at NAB 2007. You can get started shooting HD content using the HVX200 then edit it with FCP, Avid or Adobe tools. Then just deliver it to the web or SD DVD until the right Blue-ray authoring tools become available. As a note, Sonic Scenarist can author both Blue-ray and HD-DVD formats with full features. But, it's a thick program with a generous learning curve and a dedicated workstation required. You can still use Photoshop files for menus however. Finally, keep in mind that it's hard to find people with a Blue-ray or HD-DVD appliance in their office or home right now.

Good luck,
Cale
Thank you for the insight. In reality, if I can get this thing off the ground, I'll be shooting alot of hd footage and making it available online at no cost to get people to my site and interested in our production. After awhile I'll start offering the same footage on blu-ray discs as well as standard discs in a sort of subscription format. However, I need to have enough stuff "in the bank" so to speak to make full length dvd's possible monthly or semi-monthly. I'm still at the planning stages of this, but in order to do this right I really need to know what equipment I need to do this better than the competition. I need to look at that Sony computer more, and I will look into the processing software. Thanks again for the insight. Take care.
Aaron Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 384
Aaron - The only additional comment I would add to those above is that I recently switched to Edius Broadcast for editing the DVCPRO HD from the HVX and it works very well. It also has full functionality with P2 cards, including writing back to the P2 cards in the camera. You might look at that option as part of your plan.
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #9
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Donnell
Aaron - The only additional comment I would add to those above is that I recently switched to Edius Broadcast for editing the DVCPRO HD from the HVX and it works very well. It also has full functionality with P2 cards, including writing back to the P2 cards in the camera. You might look at that option as part of your plan.

Will do. Thank you.
Aaron Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 128
Walk don't Run. You'll be wasting money going HD. By the time you learn to use the gear properly it will have already lost much value. Start with a modest system built around a tried and true cam such as the dvx or xl2. You can't realistically offer true HD content over the web yet. Also with the panasonic you need to add about 2500 for the P2 workflow which is the only way to shoot HD with this cam. You can still get fantastic results with SD at about 1/3 the cost. Good Luck, Charles.
Charles Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 355
Run - don't walk away from SD! HD content is on-line and being delivered everyday. IMHO - money spent on SD is money wasted.
Mike Schrengohst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #12
Go Go Godzilla
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ USA
Posts: 2,739
Images: 15
Aaron,

Mike's advice is solid; HD is not just a new flavor of video it is the directlon everything is going. It would be both a waste of time and money to invest in an SD-only equipment package; you'll be behind the curve in everything from hardware to software knowledge.

What I would do however, is spend time learning all about video and how to shoot it first. Don't purchase anything for now, rent a camera as-you-need-it. Then as you grow more knowledgeable and competent as a shooter/editor then you'll also gain that all important perspective of what your actual equipment needs will be, rather than investing in a complete system that you either may not need - or even like.

The other thing too is that while you're deep in the learning curve the current hardware prices will be going down - and used units of whatever system you eventually want will be more plentiful.

Read the forums, buy some books/tutorials, read the industry magazines and if possible get some work as a production assistant with either a professional shooter or production company. In short, become a sponge and learn as much as you can in the next 4-6 months, and spend time testing your gained knowledge with camera rentals BEFORE you spend your hard-earned money.
__________________
Producer/CEO
Reel Lane Films LLC
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:34 AM   #13
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 128
"HD content is on-line and being delivered everyday" Really, by whom? Do you mean online, or on-line as in broadcast? I think suggesting the purchase of HD to a relative beginner is irresponsible advice. Less than 20% of broadcast channels are HD(BTW if you end up with a show on the first kick I will retire and take up basketweaving), BR has yet to reach even 5% penetration(who will you give the discs to?). There is no reason for a noob to be on the bleeeding edge. It's simply a waste of money. There is much more to shooting video than pixel counting. $3000 for a BR burner and no mention of a tripod? Seriously guys.

A starter package should include;
Camcorder
Fluid Head Tripod
Shotgun Mic
Lav Wired or WL
3 pt Lighting Package
Editing Suite-Hardware/Software/Storage
and a nice 5 in 1 Reflector
Don't forget Cases unless you want to carry your gear in grocery bags, and milk crates.

You can really spend whatever you can afford. I could spend 75,000 on an SD package as easily as spending 7,500 for an HD one. It all depends upon what serves your purposes the best. The key is knowing this before you commit.

Regarding the HVX, my experience has been awesome. The main reasons I decided to purchase it were P2 recording, and it's compact form. 35mm adapters on some of the other cameras are ridiculous in length. The pictures it produces are beautiful albeit they can take some tweaking, mostly some desaturation and a little bpressin'. Good Luck, Chuck.
Charles Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:18 PM   #14
Go Go Godzilla
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ USA
Posts: 2,739
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Hurley View Post
You can really spend whatever you can afford... It all depends upon what serves your purposes the best. The key is knowing this before you commit.
And really, that is the best advice for Aaron and anyone in a similar position: get more knowledge and face-time with the equipment before reaching for the wallet.
__________________
Producer/CEO
Reel Lane Films LLC
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #15
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Hurley View Post
"HD content is on-line and being delivered everyday" Really, by whom? Do you mean online, or on-line as in broadcast? I think suggesting the purchase of HD to a relative beginner is irresponsible advice. Less than 20% of broadcast channels are HD(BTW if you end up with a show on the first kick I will retire and take up basketweaving), BR has yet to reach even 5% penetration(who will you give the discs to?). There is no reason for a noob to be on the bleeeding edge. It's simply a waste of money. There is much more to shooting video than pixel counting. $3000 for a BR burner and no mention of a tripod? Seriously guys.

A starter package should include;
Camcorder
Fluid Head Tripod
Shotgun Mic
Lav Wired or WL
3 pt Lighting Package
Editing Suite-Hardware/Software/Storage
and a nice 5 in 1 Reflector
Don't forget Cases unless you want to carry your gear in grocery bags, and milk crates.

You can really spend whatever you can afford. I could spend 75,000 on an SD package as easily as spending 7,500 for an HD one. It all depends upon what serves your purposes the best. The key is knowing this before you commit.

Regarding the HVX, my experience has been awesome. The main reasons I decided to purchase it were P2 recording, and it's compact form. 35mm adapters on some of the other cameras are ridiculous in length. The pictures it produces are beautiful albeit they can take some tweaking, mostly some desaturation and a little bpressin'. Good Luck, Chuck.

Thank you for your insight. I know I didn't mention the tripod (or any other accessories for that matter), as I didn't think they all needed to be listed. I omited the chase vehicle I need and the office i need also. I tried to keep it limited to the primary technological pieces I feel I need. Sorry if that seemed short-sighted.

Also, I would do some of the shooting, but I would have a professional videographer do most of the shooting. Also, I am looking to get a few months of video done before we really go public with anything. I'm not looking to get a tv deal (though I wouldn't dismiss it if I did), but I want to provide still & video coverage of the automotive world, both online and on dvd. To help seperate ourselves from the rest of the automotive press, I'd like to be able to offer this in HD.

Again, I'm in the early stages of this. I really appreciate all the comments. They have been very helpful.

Also, in re: to the rental suggestions, there are no authorized Panasonic dealers around here that carry that camera. I'm not sure if I want to try and learn a camera other than the one I plan I getting in the future.
Aaron Steele is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:23 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network