DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Does the onboard panasonic monitor power last (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/86756-does-onboard-panasonic-monitor-power-last.html)

Paul Brady February 17th, 2007 10:43 AM

Does the onboard panasonic monitor power last

I am thinking of buying the panasonic over the Marchall monitor.How does the onboard panasonic monitor get its power from the HVX, and how long does the power last.

Sam Jankis February 18th, 2007 12:07 AM

Are you talking about the 8.4" Panny monitor or the HVX's flip-out lcd?

Paul Brady February 18th, 2007 01:25 AM

Yes The 8.4" Panny monitor

Sam Jankis February 18th, 2007 06:46 AM

Is Robert Lane the only person on here who uses this monitor?

Robert Lane February 19th, 2007 08:44 AM

No external monitor is powered by the camera batteries, monitors get their power from either their own external 4-pin power supply or, slip-on batteries, either Anton-Bauer or Sony V-mount type.

The LH900 is much more power-hungry than the Marshall, lasting about 1/2 as long on the same battery. Example: the Marshall (V-R70DP-HDA) using and Endura 10s V-mount battery lasted almost 5-6 hours whereas the Panny will only go for about 3 to 4 hours depending on various settings used and how often the WFM is displayed.

The shorter battery life is the Panny's only "pan"; it is by far sharper, has much more accurate color and with the built-in WFM puts it in a class far above the Marshall. The LH900 in fact is so good looking that we recently used it as our final-edit/output monitor while cutting a short in the field on a laptop (we used a breakout box to convert the DVI to RGB) when we didn't have any other external monitor options.

The Panny is also much more robust; I had 3 Marshalls die on me within just a few months of use (they were all replaced under warranty) but the LH900 has been a rock-solid reliable performer ever since it came out of the box.

Andzei Matsukevits February 19th, 2007 08:59 AM

i shot two music videos with Marshall/HVX/M2 this week. Both times i used pro DP's. Marshall worked fine, but still, not sharp enaugh, sometimes we had to guess if it was in focus or not.

After i got my marshall it worked fine, but suddenly a thin stripe(2mm thick) appeared on one side of monitor and it wont go away. If camera is not plugged in it dissappears(when monitor is blue). Its not a big deal, but sometimes some booms and lights might get in way and i wont see it, does anybody know how i could fix it or where is the problem?

Robert Lane February 19th, 2007 10:44 AM

You'll have to send it back to Marshall for repair. Depending on the age it might still be covered by the warranty. This has been a common problem with the Marshall and is "fixed" when they replace both a controller chip inside and the front bezel. I had 2 Marshalls that created that blue line - just before they died.

Andzei Matsukevits February 19th, 2007 01:13 PM

I didnt register my marshall or sent back any warranty sheet or whatever, will i still be able to send it back? How long is warranty valid? How long it might take before i get it back and who will pay for shipping?
thanks again for your answers!

Sorry Paul that im ruining your topic

Robert Lane February 19th, 2007 01:21 PM

Nobody except Marshall can answer those questions, Andzei.