Century Precision Optics 1.6X Telephoto Converter Lens For Panasonic HVX200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Century Precision Optics 1.6X Telephoto Converter Lens For Panasonic HVX200

anyone using this for the HVX? Does it zoom through? What's your take on it?
I'm between Brevis or this at the moment. Need some extra focal length!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:32 PM   #2
Wrangler

I have the Century 1.6x for the Z1, and no doubt it's the same lens with a different mount. I've been very happy with it, although it's HUGE and heavy. I don't think there is such a thing as a completely zoom through teleconvertor. Think about it... it would have to be massive in order to prevent vignetting at the wide end of the zoom. On my Z1 I can zoom just a tiny bit farther than 50% before some vignetting is visible.

Not sure how a 35mm adaptor would be a substitute for a teleconvertor, although I guess it would let you use 35mm telephoto lenses, but the results would be very different. I use the 1.6x when I shoot our opera performances from the back of the theatre, a little over 100 feet from the stage. Works very nicely for that.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 03:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Boyd ...

A bit more than 50% zoom ....hmmmmm ... that's the same zoom range the DVX had with the Century tele-converter. I'll have to mull that over some more.
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #4
New Boot

I have the 1.6 for the HVX. It is sharp and provides great images. The vignetting starts around 56 or 57 on the zoom out. So if you keep that in mind it is really great. Good Luck
Mike McEntire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

Dean,

I've tested both the 1.6x and the 2x converters from Schneider/Century. They both do a fairly good job for what they're supposed to do however there is a noticeable loss of sharpness (more in the 2x than 1.6x) some vingetting (VG) and chromatic aberrations (CA) in both lenses.

The loss of sharpness and the introduction of VG/CA isn't significant and won't kill an otherwise good shot, however you do have to be careful of backlit subjects or small points of light, that's where you'll notice the CA the most. Open-sky shots or anything with a monochromatic overtone will show the VG more.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Robert ...

Good insights there! I'm leaning toward the Brevis on this issue. I'll lose some light but I'll be able to get the ranges I need.
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Footage scale unusable

Lens adaptors on HVX will also disable the ability to focus by scale. On-screen footage scale will be wildly incorrect. Focusing by eye is the only recourse. This feature slowed me down when using 1.6x Century for some fast focus changes. Also make sure your matte box will fit the larger Outside Diameter of the lens if using filters.
Chris Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #8
New Boot

I was curious about the MOD (minimum object distance) for this converter so I called Century (incessently) and they went to the trouble of measuring it for me. The result is 43inches at full zoom. I figured I would post it since I couldn't find the info anywhere else.
Henry Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #9
Major Player

I used the 2X from Century Optics. It is ... sure ... dammed heavy. You MUST require lens support. Otherwise, the optics is very good ... just make sure you don't zoom OUTwards - or you will get vignetting.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders