FCP 5.1.4 Now out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:48 AM   #1
Go Go Godzilla

FCP 5.1.4 Now out

Very minor bug fixes, still no addressing MXF/P2 import issues. I've asked my contacts within Apple if there will be a ".5" release to fix the P2 import issues or whether that will be fully addressed in FCP 6 (either released by or formally announced at NAB) but of course there was no answer to that. So we wait...

As a reminder, for those that have been experiencing clip issues when using FCP to import P2 clips there is a 100% stable option: P2 Log or P2 Log Pro. I have never used FCP for importing/previewing clips mainly because the P2 Log interface is cleaner - and faster at making the MXF to Quicktime transcode and have never had a corrupted clip yet.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I thought the P2 import in FCP got fixed with 5.1.2.
I've been using FCP since the upgrade and never got any problems.
In fact I found it better than P2 log (not P2 log pro) because of the ability of spanning clips together. I think Imagine Product added that feature in the new P2 Log Pro version?
Eric Peltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #3
Major Player

5.1.2 does a good job of importing from P2 data that was copied to a drive.
I have imported direct from the P2 card but usually cannot do that as we shoot more than our 2 cards on a shoot. P2 Log Pro is good for checking shots in the field. Now you can also save a .pdf file that has a thumbnail and and data from the clips, handy to send to your producer.
With 5.1.2 you have the ability to import video/audio or just the video or audio. So many times I do not need the audio and importing only the
good video takes with head and tails trimmed saves disc space and time in the edit bay. I will probably wait until NAB before upgrading.
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Major Player

If you notice the packages installed, there is a DVCProHD pkg for 5.1.3 and 5.1.4

No word on what it does, but it is being installed.

To Robert: I'm surprised you even asked. To my knowledge, Apple is a closed mouth as they come, particularly for any anticipated or imagined software updates.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #5
Major Player

All my P2 footage is ingested to hard drive before importing to FCP. I have imported some things directly from the camera on occasion if I'm just testing something. No problems with direct import from camera since 5.1.2. Never had any problems with importing P2 data that's already been put on HDD or DVD.

Robert, what problems are you still having? Prior to the 5.1.2 update I had some issues, but all seems good since then. I do have a few connectivity issues on both OSX and Windows platforms, but these are Panasonic issues or design choices they made with the HVX that are mind-numbingly stupid. Like having to use USB2 with Windows and FW with OSX.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #6
Go Go Godzilla

David,

I have direct contacts within Apple that I have been able to use for troubleshooting purposes and sometimes they allow some "sneak" info out on products. Sometimes.

Jeff,

I've not had any problems myself but there are many reports of corrupted clips when using FCP to import and transcode MXF/P2 clips, whereas the HD/P2 Log products have not created this problem. According to sources the issue isn't FCP directly but interaction between OSX and FCP - Apple knows about this bug and is working on it but they won't say if it will be addressed in a ".5" update or if they are going to wait to implement that in FCP 6.

However, the other issue at hand (and this is one that all of us suffer from when it comes to updating software) is that OS 10.5 is about to release so who knows what bugs will appear with FCP and OSX 10.5 together.
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #7
New Boot

pn for pal land?

Hey there! any idea if fcp supports PN for pal land yet?
Narayan Van Maele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane
According to sources the issue isn't FCP directly but interaction between OSX and FCP - Apple knows about this bug and is working on it but they won't say if it will be addressed in a ".5" update or if they are going to wait to implement that in FCP 6.
Interesting... I've seen a few oddball reports here and over at DVXUSER and most I've chalked up to operator error and/or bad FCP install, software issues on the system in question or even a bad P2 card. ...I've gone through the defective P2 card deal myself, but overall I've had good luck with them... I own 6 cards, have rented several on various occasions and have only broke one and only received one dud/defect (a rental, probably damaged by a prior user).

Quote:
However, the other issue at hand (and this is one that all of us suffer from when it comes to updating software) is that OS 10.5 is about to release so who knows what bugs will appear with FCP and OSX 10.5 together.
Yeh, the joy of major upgrades... I'm expecting OSX 10.5 / Leopard to show up sometime by the end of March, even the first 10 days of April. Apple almost has too. I don't think they can pass on showing major updates to Final Cut Studio at NAB and the upcoming new versions will undoubtedly use a lot of the new OSX 10.5 features like the Core Animation with GPU acceleration.

I can't wait to see what bugs we get with Leopard and FCP6 this year. Maybe that workflow can be ironed out somewhat before I get my RED ONE and start the debugging process all over again. Wooohooo! I'm glad I'm a ways down on the REDservation list. Heh.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders