P2 NAB 2007 Wrap-up - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 03:07 PM   #16
Regular Crew

One of my goals at NAB was to comparing monitors that would work with my HVX. Even though the BT-LH80W has the same resolution as the Marshall and the Swit I found the picture quality to be far superior. I'm surprised to find out that it has similar resolution, but I know that there is so much more than that that goes into a good monitor than just resolution. The clincher for me was the "Focus-in-Red" feature. Since the eye recognizes color faster than it does focus it made focusing instantly easier. There was no learning curve at all. Now if I could only afford one...

Last edited by Martin Iverson; April 22nd, 2007 at 05:03 PM.
Martin Iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 03:29 PM   #17
Wrangler

I agree; I looked at all the small monitors I could find at NAB too and was also surprised to see the resolution spec later since the Panasonic did appear sharper than the others. I thought it held its own very nicely next to the larger Panasonic monitors in the same display. Perhaps the scaler is doing a better job downconverting the image? It's a really nice little screen.

But price is an issue for me since I'd also need the Anton Bauer batteries as opposed to some of the other monitors which can be used with my existing batteries.

More discussion of small monitors at NAB here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91877
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Apparently the BT-LH80W also comes with an optional HD-SDI input module (BT-YA80G). For an indie feature to be shot with the HPX500, is it worth the extra $650 list price?

thanks
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:31 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Iverson View Post
One of my goals at NAB was to comparing monitors that would work with my HVX. Even though the BT-LH80W has the same resolution as the Marshall and the Swit I found the picture quality to be far superior. I'm surprised to find out that it has similar resolution, but I know that there is so much more than that that goes into a good monitor than just resolution. The clincher for me was the "Focus-in-Red" feature. Since the eye recognizes color faster than it does focus it made focusing instantly easier. There was no learning curve at all. Now if I could only afford one...
What exactly is focus in red?
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #20
Trustee

Focus-in-Red displays the edges of the focused area in red when sharp focus is achieved.
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Impact of bigger P2 cards

Robert, have you heard of any issues related to ingest of the 16Gb cards with existing NLE's? I'm wondering that if an NLE or intermediate app like Cineform supports MXF files from the HVX200 will also support the larger cards when shot on the HPX500. Any differences in the file structure/codec/blackmagic that goes into the P2 format?
Jay Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #22
Jubal 28

Should be no difference in file structure, definitely no difference in codec.

The only differences would be in drivers to support the card firmware.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #23
Major Player

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 16 Gb cards are not yet available.

Not certain how anybody can determine if there are problems with them
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #24
Jubal 28

No, but we can discuss the theory. And in theory, as the file structure and codec will remain the same, there should be no issues because of that.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Calling Jan, Calling Jan!

Perhaps a little insider info would do the trick. What about it Jan, where are the gotchas with the 16 gig cards for NLE's?
Old May 6th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #26
Go Go Godzilla

P2 is MXF

Just to be clear, the only difference between the various P2 card sizes is exactly that - size.

P2 is not a format, codec or frame-rate, it's intelligent, reusable storage; the cards record any format the camera it's installed in shoots. The only caveat with 16GB cards has to do with the HVX200 only; older models will require a firmware update to talk to the 16GB cards because they and the 32 GB cards are now using SDHC-type RAM modules instead of the older and slower SD-type. Later model HVX - and any shipping now - will already have the updated firmware.

There are no "gotchas" with NLE's; if your NLE of choice has a P2 Import function then it wlll talk to the 16GB cards just fine - and the 32GB cards later this year.

The first batch of 16GB cards have been allocated to the HPX500 packages Jan has setup; remaining individual cards will be made available after the first orders of 500's have been fulfilled. Panasonic Flagship dealers will get priority for both card & HPX500 package orders; normal retail channels will follow.
Old May 6th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Thanks Robert, I was hoping that was the case, but you know how things are these days with the technology moving so fast. I'd hate to make a purchase recommendation only to find out that the compatibility turns out to be "shiiping sometime in Q3, Q4...".

Do you have an HPX500 here in PHX now?
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:03 AM   #28
Panasonic Broadcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Lee View Post
Perhaps a little insider info would do the trick. What about it Jan, where are the gotchas with the 16 gig cards for NLE's?
There is as Robert and David have pointed out, no problems that we are aware of. The Factory has been working with all of the NLE guys and I feel pretty confident that there will be not gotchas.

Hope this helps,

Jan
Old July 1st, 2007, 01:24 AM   #29
Major Player

Hi guys,
There was quite a bit of talk about the BT-LH80W on this thread, anyone know if it has image flip?
Thanks,
Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 04:45 PM   #30
Major Player

Jan or Robert

Can you post the serial number (approximately) of the HVX-200 where no new firmware will be needed ? Also, if a firmware upgrade is needed for using the 16 GB card, will Panasonic be charging to make the upgrade ?
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders