DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   New HPX2000 - it's here (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/92741-new-hpx2000-its-here.html)

Shawn Alyasiri April 30th, 2007 07:48 AM

New HPX2000 - it's here

Glad to report that I've got my first HPX2000. It's an 'everything cam', with a beautiful design:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...del=AJ-HPX2000

I've had it for less than 48 hours, and the tests so far are great. The 24p in 720 & 1080 looks fantastic, and it lights up in Edius 4.24 without a hitch. 60i/60p are great as well. The integration with the FS100 firestore has been flawless so far - and even pN recording on the firestore has dropped in on the Edius timeline as 23.98 - no problem, looks great. I'm seeing 42 minutes available on a (5) 8-gig load in the HD 'over 60' modes. Progressive Native firmware is coming, so 720 pN recording will give you more, as well as the intra codec boards. I've got (10) 16's ordered, so space isn't an issue anymore - even on longer form events, with the Firestores as added flexibility/backup to boot.

Thanks again for a great forum.

Greg Boston April 30th, 2007 08:03 AM

Shawn, I had to edit your post a bit. You can't solicit for business in your posts. Notice that we have paid sponsors and it isn't fair to them. If you wanted to buy advertising on DVINFO, you could contact Chris Hurd to see if it's available.

However, we value your posts regarding experiences with the new cameras.

Thanks for understanding,

-gb-

Shawn Alyasiri April 30th, 2007 09:39 AM

No problem at all, and sorry for any unintentional breach of forum protocol. My prime intent was to let folks know that this great and awaited instrument exists, and is now shipping. I'm sure we're all finding ways to pay for things after that.

My best to everyone as always...

**BTW - I found out today that this camera is NOT compatible with the 16 gig cards until this summer (July/August) with a free firmware update. The firmware will address progressive native framerates (pN recording), the AVC intra option, and compatibility with the 16 gig cards. A bit of a disappointment out of the gate, but it'll save me a couple dollars on cards for a few weeks anyway...

Shawn Alyasiri May 3rd, 2007 12:40 PM

For whatever it's worth, we did some Firestore flexibility testing. If you have the 2000 in 720 24p mode (not pN mode which isn't available until summer), you can set the FS100 with the version 3 firmware to pN recording. It recorded a lovely 720 24p file that laid beautifully on the Edius timeline - showing up as 23.97fps (or was it 23.98 - I forget).

It's nice to see these things fall into place. I was starting to die of anticipation fatigue...

Long story short - you can only go pN on the firestore if you're in the 720 24p (over 60) mode on the camera. You can't do pN on both (but you can do 24p over 60 on both), whenever the firmware is available. I call it lose/win - but of course, you're also able to cut two simultaneous HD copies of the content - both of which have been bulletproof in the tests.

I've also used an AJA HDSDI downconverter successfully to feed SD tape/DV decks for simultaneous daily/backup runs as well. Lots of options available.

Low light tests were very good too - although oddly the 60i setting loses at least a stop over the 30p setting (should be the same 1/60 shutter speed). This is completely opposite of what the SD version (SPX800) was doing (60i was far brighter than 30p). My only gripe so far - but the images are there, even with 3-6db gain in ridiculous low light. Looks night and day side by side with H1 footage shot at 9db with far higher camera light used - colors are popping much more as well.

Greg Boston May 3rd, 2007 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Alyasiri (Post 672173)
Low light tests were very good too - although oddly the 60i setting loses at least a stop over the 30p setting (should be the same 1/60 shutter speed). This is completely opposite of what the SD version (SPX800) was doing (60i was far brighter than 30p).

That's how it should be, Shawn. With the higher end cameras, having the shutter switch in the 'off' position means your shutter is whatever the frame rate is. 60i will have a 1/60 shutter while 30p will have a 1/30 shutter(which brightens things up a bit). Same with 24p. If you don't turn on the shutter switch, it defaults to 1/24(even brighter), so make sure you turn on shutter in 24p and set it to 1/48 if you want to emulate film motion cadence.

60i should not be brighter than 30p.

regards,

-gb-

Jeffrey Lovell May 3rd, 2007 02:11 PM

Hey Shawn,

Great on the new cam. What did you have before?

Jeff Lovell
(Up on C4!!)

Tim Polster May 4th, 2007 06:18 AM

Shawn,

Mind if I ask what you have paid for your rig?

Camera, lens, P2 cards ect...

I want to jump to HD sometime in the next few years and a firsthand account of the cost would give me a reality check.

Right now I use three DVC-200s and am worried about being able to duplicate a three camera setup without selling my house!

Thanks

Shawn Alyasiri May 6th, 2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 672616)

...having the shutter switch in the 'off' position means your shutter is whatever the frame rate is.

Thanks

Thanks for adding this - I was taking for granted that the shutter 'off' on this cam was at twice frame-rate (ie: 30p - 1/60, 24p - 1/48). The manual confirmed what you said - I specifically changed one of the shutter choices to ss-half and click into that now. On my SPX800 (the SD version of this cam), 30p was definitely darker than 60i - perhaps it was different (I always ran with shutter off, but was typically running 60i anyway).

This camera takes beautiful HD images - I'm noticing some edge 'warbling' and almost edge tearing (1080 60i pans/pulls - house siding, fencing, car grills, etc - detail moire?) when playing the native HD footage/downconverting to 4x3 SD in Edius. Seems like I may need to pull the detail out a little in the settings or change coring (something that I didn't notice as much when downconverting H1/Z1 footage). Perhaps that's the nature of the beast when downconverting source with so much detail, or depending on what monitors you're playing it back on?

Shawn Alyasiri May 6th, 2007 06:03 PM

Tim,

To answer your question - body/VF were $28K from Omega Graphics (sponsor of this site). Can't say enough about Dave & his crew.

Prior to NAB 06, I figured I'd wait and see where the whole P2 thing was going, anxiously awaiting the Grass Valley Infinity. That cam has been a bust so far, and I won a couple of bucks in Vegas, so I bought a 200 that year to play around with P2, etc. Within a couple of months I had (2) SPX800's and 17 cards (4 & 8 gig) with a couple of FS100's. The experiences, data and image quality have been great.

I've been waiting for this camera for a while - it's great to have it in hand. The footage looks great, although I really need those 16 gig cards.... I've got a 2nd 2000 on hold.

Lens is a canon 18x/2x - somewhere in the $30K range, but I got it used. Monitor with the Panny 900 monitor, etc. Very interested in a piece of Angenieux glass right now as well. Prices will go down, quality will go up - great to have all of these beautiful choices.

Shawn Alyasiri May 6th, 2007 06:04 PM

accidental double post...

Xavier Etown May 6th, 2007 09:58 PM

Shawn,

Would love to see some footage!

Tim Polster May 7th, 2007 06:53 AM

Thanks Shawn.

Dan Brockett May 7th, 2007 06:15 PM

Your new toy

Hi Shawn:

What kind of projects are you shooting with such nice gear?

Dan

Shawn Alyasiri May 8th, 2007 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 674443)
Hi Shawn:

What kind of projects are you shooting with such nice gear?

Dan

I've around 20 cams now - these are definitely the best in my little collection. These 2000's are targeted for rentals & corporate shoots, special events, concert Imag/recording, and even weddings.

In fact, I shot a wedding with it last weekend. I think it performed beautifully, especially considering how harsh the lighting can be. Great color, and a very smooth look. Even at the reception, I only bumped the gain to 6db and used a very small amount of cam light - results are fantastic.

I loved the feature set on paper and now in hand as it lends to so much versatility for such a wide range of jobs.

Hardest thing is selling P2 to rental clients - not the cams. I don't blame them - I was a skeptic as well once.

Definitely need those 16 gig cards for long form recording though... Anxiously awaiting those and the necessary firmware. Would be surprisingly 'hip' if the FS-100's could start to record that Intra codec coming out as well...