P2 on the road - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old May 14th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #16
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rosen View Post
Tell the truth now - anyone have any data loss that wasn't pilot error? How trustworthy is this technology?
Never had a single corrupted frame. Near as I can tell, almost every story that you see boils down to either a) flagrant pilot error, or b) unintentional pilot error, and some are c) bugs in FCP.

By "flagrant", I mean either they just didn't copy all the files over on purpose (they just copied over the VIDEO directory, for example) or they changed the name of the CONTENTS directory.

By "unintentional", I am specifying that apparently (APPARENTLY) if you put a P2 card in a Mac, and you haven't write-protected the card, then there's a chance that the footage on that card will glitch when imported. Macs write files onto unprotected volumes when they're first mounted (like the "Trashes" directory) and apparently that's somehow messing up the ability to get clean transfers.

And by "bugs" I mean just that -- bugs in FCP. FCP is still sorting out its issues; it's had problems importing clips that were "repaired" in-camera, and it sometimes changes the frame rate of an imported clip (especially if you import a 720pN clip and have the "remove duplicate frames" checkbox checked). The footage on the cards (or drives) is perfectly good, but FCP fails to properly import it.

If you follow a few simple rules, you should have no problems whatsoever and it should be extraordinarily bulletproof.

1) Whenever you copy files to a hard disk, keep the CONTENTS directory intact and don't change its name!

2) Never put a P2 card anywhere near a Mac unless it's write-protected.

3) If using FCP, use the latest version. Don't run anything earlier than 5.1.4.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #17
Major Player

Barry: I have printed out your warnings and will tape it to the lid of my PowerBook... It's strange that FCP should be quirky with P2 when at first, at the NAB when Panasonic was touting the technology, Apple seemed to be in bed with them... Guess they didn't get along..

I have another question or two for you about the 500, but I will start a new thread.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #18
Major Player

Forgot

Forgot to ask - whomever is using a Mac - given the above warnings, am I safer xferring directly from the camera via firewire than using the CardBus slot?
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #19
Barry Wan Kenobi

I get yelled at a lot for saying it, but P2 just works better in the PC environment than it does in the Mac environment. There are numerous little quirks in the Mac implementation that I find annoying; quirks that we (few) on the WinXP side just don't have to put up with. Panasonic is a Windows company, they make Windows PCs, and near as I can tell they rely on Apple to do all the support for the P2 system on the Mac side.

And that being said, P2 works just fine on the Mac and something like 95% of HVX users are using the Mac. The quirks I'm talking about are really minor quibbles once you look at the whole system in context, and Mac users seem quite content with the way the P2 system works on the Mac.

Apple and Panasonic do have a healthy relationship, and DVCPRO-HD footage on the Mac platform absolutely flies.

The only real problem that I have is the glitching issue, and it seems like that's solved by using the write-protect tab.

I still think that the single simplest, easiest, and best way for a Mac user to get the most from the P2 workflow is to torch $500 for a Windows laptop. That way they get glitch-free importing, instant scrubbing and footage preview, metadata annotating, ability to execute all firmware downloads, more reliable and more-sensible P2 Store integration, and they can always just copy their footage to an external hard disk and import that footage right into their FCP desktop. That way you'd have the best of both worlds.
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #20
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rosen View Post
Forgot to ask - whomever is using a Mac - given the above warnings, am I safer xferring directly from the camera via firewire than using the CardBus slot?
No, you're equally safe as long as you write-protect the card before ever exposing it to MacOS.
Old May 15th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #21
Major Player

Thanx for all your informative responses in this and other threads... entering into a whole new way of working is always more than slightly nerve-racking - especially when you're doing it on someone else's dime...

I'm sure I will be a happy P2 user, just as I eventually learned to like and trust HDV (I never had a dropout, by the way, and with a DeckLink card it was just like working with DV)..

It's all about storytelling after all...
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green View Post
2) Never put a P2 card anywhere near a Mac unless it's write-protected.
Barry,

Does this APPARENT bug only seem to happen with DVCPROHD footage or does it apparently happen with any type of codec on a card?

Its just interesting to hear, i've never had a problem bringing in DVCPRO50 footage off my works spx800s onto our Macpro via the p2 card reader. Or is it apparently just an hvx issue?

joe
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #23
Barry Wan Kenobi

The issue is extremely rare, as evidenced by there being maybe 50 reports of it happening on all the boards put together, yet there's something like 35,000 HVX200s out there (not counting all the SPX800s, SPC700s, and HPX2000s too).

So it's not a widely prevalent thing. I don't know that I've heard of it affecting DVCPRO50 or DV footage, but I'd guess that it's likely because there aren't that many shooters (proportionately) shooting in SD vs. shooting in HD.

The issue seems to come into play when transferring footage from a card to a Mac. I don't know that I've ever heard of it happening from an external drive into the Mac. And there's a tad of evidence to suggest that write-protecting the cards prevents the issue from ever occurring. But it's hard to know, because it's a very infrequent issue, so how do we know when it's truly definitely gone? It seems like the write-protect does make it go away though.
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #24
Major Player

I know this will probably be obvious once I have the tools in front of me, but just so I know -

How does one write-protect the P2 card? - and is it something you need to do and undo, like the tab on a tape cassette?
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #25
Trustee

On the back of the P2 card there is a little switch that you can slide to Protect.
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #26
Major Player

Just finished a shoot with another HVX owner this weekend....
Dallas, TX - scattered showers - it was Hot & humid and
we were shooting outside all day with 4 - 4 gig cards and 2 - rented 8 gig cards...
I was shooting and lugging my G4 around - transferred 4 x 8 gig cards
and 6x 4 gig cards onto my 100 gig Firewire external. Not one glitch.
Just finished the first edit and I saw no problems. And I like the fact
that I can "digitize" what I need....and skip what I don't need.
This was an event and you might start recording and people would
come up and look in the camera and ask what TV station you were from....
or the tech guys who start asking 20 questions - Deja Vu from NAB.
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #27
Major Player

Francesco -- yep, guessing the discrepancy in ftg is because of the 24p vs. 25p. I too wish there was a larger P2Store (I've been griping for a while now) but, alas, it doesn't look likely.

Regarding your question Steve, I don't use any program for copying over P2 cards, but I probably should. There are two programs: P2Genie and HDLogPro (Robert Lane, P2 Guru, recommends HDLogPro, though it's considerably more expensive), that automate the copying and also can verify a copy, which is a really great feature. That being said, I've never had an error on a transferred file (knocking wood) even without using these programs. I would emphasize the importance of using quality hard drives, however (I only use G-Raid's). A friend copied to some off-the-shelf HDD's and had errors and I was once on a shoot where the production provided a low-end Maxtor and a number of cards were corrupted.

I am indeed excited about the Red, but it's always a little nervewracking being one of the first. We'll see how it goes :)

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #28
Major Player

A 300+g P2 Store would solve all of my worries... Why is that such a problem I wonder?
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #29
Major Player

Great question. Because panasonic wants to sell P2 cards, and not P2 stores, probably :)

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #30
Major Player

Well, if they want to sell more P2 cards, they need to make the process more appealing - to be honest I almost cancelled my HPX500 order with the idea of buying a used Varicam... good old tape happily rolling along - mechanical - something I can understand...

It looks like I'm going to be using a 1ghz G4 PowerBook and offloading cards (at lunch, at dinner, whenever) to a pair of 500g Seagate FW drives. My concern is -

is this process going to give me the ability to check my clips? I know Barry recommended a PC for ease in doing that, but I'm an old dog and this (P2) is enough new tricks for now...

Also - has anyone shot 720/24pn and added the pulldown (for broadcast) in the FCP timeline? I've done that successfully with Canon's 24f and wondered how it looks with DVCPRO HD because that would give me a lot more card space...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders