What will be the HD Preference for TV-News at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old June 15th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #1
New Boot

What will be the HD Preference for TV-News

Progressive or Interlaced??? I am curious what the preference will be. Since they like the "live" feel, are they more apt to use 1080i as apposed to shooting progressive?

What are the affiliates who have already made the switch, shooting? Interlaced or progressive? What are they setting the fps at? 30i, 30p?

What stations have already made the switch FULLY to HD? I mean from field to broadcast.

What will be the camera of choice... the 2000 or the 500? ...and does the AVC Intra frame on the 2000 play into that decission?
Dan Eschenfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

You can get the "live" look with progressive -- shoot 720/60p. Watch any live event on ABC, ESPN, or Fox, and you'll be watching 720/60p. The Super Bowl, American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, they're all shot and broadcast as 720/60p.

As to what each individual station is going to want, well, that's up to each station. By and large CBS and NBC affiliates are 1080i, Fox and ABC affiliates are 720p. But if you're considering any one particular station it'd be best to ask them what they'd want.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Eschenfelder View Post
What will be the camera of choice... the 2000 or the 500? ...and does the AVC Intra frame on the 2000 play into that decission?
Probably depends on each station's budget. If they can afford the 2000, they'll go with the 2000. It has a lot of very nice, news-specific features on it that make it more suitable for news shooting than the 500. But the 500's half the price, so again, depends on their budget.

AVC-I allows the same quality in half the bitrate, so yes that'll factor in to many broadcasters' decisions.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Eschenfelder View Post
Progressive or Interlaced??? I am curious what the preference will be. Since they like the "live" feel, are they more apt to use 1080i as apposed to shooting progressive?

What are the affiliates who have already made the switch, shooting? Interlaced or progressive? What are they setting the fps at? 30i, 30p?

What stations have already made the switch FULLY to HD? I mean from field to broadcast.

Most local stations and affliates have spent lots of money going digital; that is standard definition. I look for them at first to remain standard definition for their local programs, including news, and upconvert to HD. After that; they will probably switch to whatever their network is using.

As far as camera of choice goes, well it depends on the broadcast company. Some companies get huge discounts because of their association with vendors. So, for example, if a broadcast company uses Sony for their group, then they are most likely going to buy Sony cameras for all their stations. Of course I'm talking about broadcast companies that own multiple TV stations.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #5
Major Player

I asked a number of local stations in Albuquerque and Tucson about their workflow for news, and none of them were using HD, and none had any plans to switch to HD. Admittedly, I live in a low population density area, but around here SD is the only game in town.
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders