Need a transport case for HPX500 - Will this work? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old June 29th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need a transport case for HPX500 - Will this work?

I am looking at the following Kata case. What do you think?

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=1&ProdLine=1

I have the Canon 20x HD Lens and I want to transport with the lens and viewfinder connected.

Maybe this case would be better?

Any other suggestions?
Darrin Altman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 10:47 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Although people do it all the time, I would never transport pro equipment in anything less than a Pelican. Some people prefer the supposed portability of soft-type cases but the lack of real protection they offer especially from the elements doesn't justify any weight savings or "portability". In fact, Jan is having Pelican make a case specific to the HPX500 and should be available in the coming months.

There's a reason Pelican has become the de-facto standard for mobile equipment protection from individual shooters to rental and grip houses and ENG crews worldwide. Check them out before you spend your money.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:53 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm not the Pelican fan you are, Robert. About 10 years ago I had the external snaps (which are pretty vulnerable if you study them) break off, yes, BREAK OFF, from hitting corners coming down a luggage carousel and nearly depost a $10,000 PortaDat and it's accesories into the turnstile... I haven't used one since - I kept that one to demonstrate to people that "tough" is only a state of mind.

I break my camera down into pieces and carry it on in a PortaBrace case (remember to take a battery too, so you can turn on the camera for security). The rest of my stuff travels in a large 30 year old Haliburton aluminum case.

For car travel I keep the camera in a CineGear production bag, which I like a lot, although with the 500 I have to remove the battery and matte box everytime I stow it.

PortaBrace has several new hard cases, but I'm not sure the snap system is any better designed than Pelican's...

And, of course, Haliburton is still around, although they're priced like Rolex watches.. but they do last forever...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:41 AM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

Wait, 10 years ago? Have you looked at Pelican cases lately? There's hardly the vulnerability you speak of in todays case technology. I've had these cases dropped off airline belt-loaders, stepped on, hit by a car traveling at 40mph - you name it, I've seen these cases take punishment that would leave others breaking apart, much less having the straps stay on.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:42 AM   #5
Major Player

To be fair to Pelican (since so many people seem to like them) I went to their site and checked the new cases. Apparently they have redesigned the snaps - they're 2 position now (they used to be a bitch to unsnap after being closed a while) and more recessed into the reinforcing structure of the case design to make them less vulnerable. Which is good..

So, I should retract my above statements since they (Pelican) have obviously done some R&D in response to customer complaints (mine included)..

I still prefer my trusty old Haliburton though... But I'll probably buy a custom built Pelican for the 500 if it's well designed and doesn't have that pluck foam...

Last edited by Steve Rosen; July 2nd, 2007 at 09:54 AM. Reason: afterthought
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:53 AM   #6
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rosen View Post
I still prefer my trusty old Haliburton though...
To each his own, but the abuse I've seen Pelicans take would leave any Zero-Haliburton full of deep dents and would more than likely render the case unusable. Not to mention they're not water-tight enclosures, only "moisture resistant...". That's a huge difference if you're moving equipment to-and-from a rain-drenched location.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 03:02 PM   #7
Major Player

Back to the original question.

Darrin, either of those 2 cases will suit you fine, when i borrowed an hpx from panny nz it came in the Kata CCC-1 Case which they actually dubbed the Varicam case.

Both the CC-3 or the TCCT should work fine as they are roughly the same size if not larger than the CCC-1.

Personally i like soft cases' better for Pro shoulder mounts and tend to only put smaller hand held cams in hardcases, which tend to be Storm cases over Pelicans.. i find the storms build to be much better.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 03:41 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
There's a reason Pelican has become the de-facto standard for mobile equipment protection from individual shooters to rental and grip houses and ENG crews worldwide. Check them out before you spend your money.
Well, not world wide, here in the Netherlands and Belgium you get your camera "de-facto" in a Portabrace or Kata bag if you rent one.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:35 PM   #9
Major Player

As Robert says, to each his own...

To me, a hard case is for long storage and a potentially rough transport environment when the gear is out of my hands (airline luggage, helicopter, Land Cruiser). A hard case involves dissassembly - remove the matte box, the lens, the viewfinder and nestle the pieces in shape-cut stiff foam with at least 2 inches between them. And I personally like the Haliburton because it ISN'T completely waterproof - you haven't lived until you've opened a hermetically sealed case in a humid environment after travelling from a temperate one and watched the lens fill with condensation. But, again, to each his own - just be sure to learn how to properly use the relief valve in a Pelican-type case.

Generally I think of soft cases as work cases.. Open the top, pull out the camera, slap on a battery and you're ready to go... Although, as I said, I usually pack a dissassembled camera in a "soft" PortaBrace Carry-On, I send the larger CineBag through luggage with non-breakable items like fishpole, battery chargers etc, and transfer the camera to that case when I arrive. I haven't used the Kata bags, but I hear good things about them.

There are advantages to each, and in the end the choice is really dictated by personal work preferences....
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:41 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I have a Pelican case for my HVX200 and like it a lot. Problem is that I am a relatively small guy and can honestly just barely carry the case up stairs without pulling out my back. I also want to carry the HPX500 with lens and viewfinder connected. I only have one lens and wont be able to afford another one for a while and I need to show up at my shoot and be ready to go. Right now my third garage is my storage area for all of my equipment and my upstairs office is where I keep my expensive equipment. I looked at a Pelican case that would carry the 500 in one piece and I would never be able to carry it up to my office.

I ended up ordering a Kata case MCC-2 and the trolly. I should get both tomorrow, I will let you know my thoughts once I get it.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:51 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin Altman View Post
I am looking at the following Kata case. What do you think?

I have the Canon 20x HD Lens and I want to transport with the lens and viewfinder connected.

Maybe this case would be better?

Any other suggestions?
Darrin,

I’m borrowing the HD10 and CC1(new version with trolly slit) and CC1 is little tight side ways, so some rubber caps and the viewfinder eyecap hit the zippers and come off some times. Basically fine though. HD10 is made for vaircam, so it is a lot larger. Nice case but I want the trolly slit. Was CC2 smaller than CC1? If it is, you might have some trouble fitting.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito View Post
Darrin,

I’m borrowing the HD10 and CC1(new version with trolly slit) and CC1 is little tight side ways, so some rubber caps and the viewfinder eyecap hit the zippers and come off some times. Basically fine though. HD10 is made for vaircam, so it is a lot larger. Nice case but I want the trolly slit. Was CC2 smaller than CC1? If it is, you might have some trouble fitting.
Got CC2 today, not wide enough, its going back to B&H. I am just going to give up and buy the Pelican 1660. Its a monster of a case but I will for sure be able to transport the HPX500, lens, and viewfinder in one piece.

I think the CC1 and 2 are about the same width. I just dont want to have to remove the viewfinder to transport, Im a little anal I know but I just think plugging in the viewfinder three four times a week and carry in such a tight fitting case is going to be a problem. I have too much money invested in this camera for that.

The Kata bag is nice and solid, its just not wide enough. I dont see the HD10 listed on Kata's site, is that a Kata bag?

Thanks for your info.

Darrin
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #13
Major Player

Hmm appaears i was wrong, Guess i got the CCC-1 and the HD10 confused, Sorry about that Darrin, i hope you find what your looking for.

Joe
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:03 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Pelican 1660 vs Storm Case 2975

I don't know if this thread is still active, but the Pelican 1660 is such a monster case it's almost impossible to transport. I bought one for Steadicam gear a couple of years ago and discovered it wouldn't even fit into the trunk (boot, for some of you) of the car. I sold it on immediately, unused.

I highly recommend the slightly smaller Storm Case - model 2975 (I have two for transporting camera gear). It's excellent quality, holds a ton and is still very portable. Cheaper than the Pelican too. It should fit your HPX500 with accessories attached. Zacuto use them for their equipment cases and you can see them on ther website, with custom foam for HVX and other cameras (no HPX500 cutouts yet, but they'll probably do them).

Best,

Simon.
Simon Sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:55 PM   #15
Wrangler

Pelican or flight case for shipping or checking as luggage on flights.

Porta-Brace for carrying-on, or taking in your car to a local job.

I have a collection of both now, as do most working professionals.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders