pany lx3 does 720p at 24fps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old August 1st, 2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Major Player

pany lx3 does 720p at 24fps

sorry I can´t link from this internet cafe computer but go to dpreview for the specs

www.kurthbousman.com
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 05:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

QuickTime Motion JPEG
• 4:3 Aspect Ratio: 640 x 480 pixels 30 fps or
• 320 x 240 pixels 30 fps/10 fps
• 16:9 Aspect Ratio: 848 x 480 pixels 30 fps
• HD(16:9 Aspect Ratio): 1280x720 pixels 24fps"

Can this be DVD'd with good results
It has a huge sensor( bigger than 1/2 inch) and touts it's low light ability

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0807/08...nasoniclx3.asp
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

would anyone here care to comment on whether or not this will be an acceptable substitute for an everyday camcorder? Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Inner Circle

It's unlikely that exposure, focus and zoom can be adjusted while shooting.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #5
New Boot

somebody should do it. a 2/3 cmos sensor, old proven hdv encoder, or even mp4, in a body of sigma dp1 with ois. all made in a right way. it's just not pana/sony/canon to do it - they have camcorder market to protect. err, may be its time for apple to invent icorder.
Konstantin Serafimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #6
Trustee

I've got the Panny TZ5 which seems to have similar video specs - it makes the same Motion JPEG HDV files. My comments may or may not apply to the LX3.

It's not bad quality for a compact digital camera, certainly streets ahead of the old 320x240 VGA resolution vids you used to get.

But... it's not camcorder quality. It seems to have difficulty with lights (you get pretty mad smearing from windows or room lights) and it's a bit flickery in quality. It's also very hard to hold steady enough to get a decent shot, even with the built-in stabilizer. A cheap HDV camcorder will outclass it.

As Robert said, adjusting focus etc. during "filming" is not possible (at least I can't work it out). The TZ5 allows you to zoom during shooting.

I used my camera for a very brief cutaway shot during my UWOL9 entry, and it was passable for a brief scene. It seems to be a great tool for the "YouTube" generation.

My opinions only!
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #7
Wrangler

I have a friend with a new Panny with HD video... going to borrow it from him and do some tests, as I'm very curious about this. I've intercut clips of 640x480 video from my Canon SD800 with footage from my HDV HV20 on a DVD, and it has been passable (as in no one watching it noticed the difference).... so I'm hoping the Panny footage is even better.
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #8
Trustee

Dylan,

It works well as a B-cam, with careful framing/exposiure - moreso in DV. You can fiddle with white balance and a few other settings.

If I was using it again, I would get a Gorilla-Pod or clamp or other small tripod device to keep it 100% stable and it would be great. Hand-held is a disaster (for me, anyway).

Also, in my experience, it just keeps recording video until it runs out of space on the card. Some cameras (Canon?) have a 30-second or other limit.

I might do a test with a non-hand held TZ5 and post the footage if I get a chance later tonight. I just need some good daylight!
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #9
Trustee

OK, so no sunlight tonight, it is dark and raining... and the picture is grainy as heck. Looks like it needs bright weather or good lighting to produce good HD results! I will try again when the sun shines.
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #10
Major Player

The LX3 has been reviewed here... http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...ix_dmc_lx3.php

One the sample images page waaaay at the bottom is a link to some sample video. Just a heads up it's a 65 megabyte download. (http://www.photographyblog.com/revie..._dmc_lx3_3.php)

I just watched it - auto-iris and image stabilization stuff aside, it looks really awesome for a pocket still camera.
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:40 AM   #11
Major Player

I'm looking into the ultra-compact FX35, and I've seen sample footage from the camera as well as the other Panasonic still cameras. Across the board, the 720p video looks beautiful, but the sound is another story. I'm not expecting lossless 7.1, but come on! It's like they're not even trying.

Listen to the sound on these... It's pretty disappointing.
Lumix FX-35 Video Test: Using Power Inverter/Car Battery To Run Wireless Router on Vimeo (FX35)
Trying out new camera on Vimeo (FX35)
Panasonic Lumix TZ5 Video Example on Vimeo (TZ5)

The sample video on the site that Theodore posted for the LX3 suffers from the same issue.

Also, does anyone know if you can zoom while filming with the LX3? I know the TZ5 can and the FX35 can't.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #12
Major Player

D90 vs LX3

With the hype on the D90, this camera seems to have been forgotten..Its less than half the cost, it has a CCD vs the rolling shutter CMOS on the D90..Also, the component output allows for capture using an Intensity pro card..

Is there anyone willing to post more video samples from this camera ?

Also, is there someone with this cam and an Intensity Pro so we can check the output over component ??

Sorry, I have a portable intensity capture station but no camera .. And in Australia, its harder to get a hold of it for testing..
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anmol Mishra View Post
Is there anyone willing to post more video samples from this camera ?
Vimeo is a very good place for samples. Search videos for lx3 on Vimeo
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #14
Trustee

I have an FX35. Its certainly no replacement for a home video camera in terms of usability, but the 720p image definitely has some potential if you are willing to shoot with a tripod, and adjust focal length between shots. No rolling shutter issue, which from the threads I've read is killing the D90's prospects.

Unfortunately the show-stopper for me is having no ability to fix the shutter at 1/30 or 1/60 to avoid strobing - I suspect over-fast shutter speeds when in bright light is what's leading folks to say their footage seems jerky.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #15
Major Player

LX3 does 24P

The LX3 does 24P so that should not really be a problem.
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)