Casio Exilim EX-FH20 high speed camera - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old September 21st, 2008, 11:46 AM   #16
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurth Bousman View Post
>>Hopefully, they will keep pushing the tech.<<

Well that's something we can all agree on . I was surprised that canon didn't give more frame rates with the 5dmkll . Maybe d90mkll might be a more obvious source since nikon doesn't have a market to protect .
I think Nikon has a huge opening here for there next model(s), especially is they decide to make something classified as a video camera that shoots great stills, as you are right, they have no market at all to protect.
Old September 21st, 2008, 05:42 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren View Post
But that is exactly what Twixtor does - interpolates frames that were not there to begin with. Of course, it's not the same, but I've used it on HD broadcast ads to get 100fps off 24fps footage and as long as you shoot with it in mind, results work well.

If this camera did either very sharp 480p (and the JPEGs look very soft at 100%) or nice 720p even at 100fps, it could be a very useful tool. Hopefully, they will keep pushing the tech.
What I meant Stephen, is that something which happens too fast is there in one frame (if at all) and is gone out of frame just 1/60 second later. Like one of the earlier videos I posted with the F350 being over cranked to 60p and played back at 24P. The artillery shell exits the launch tube at such high velocity that you see only a flash, and then nothing. Higher frame rates would allow viewing of the actual lift off.

Frankly, I would opt for the the predecessor with the lower megapixel count because it has even higher frame rate capabilities. I'm talking motion analysis here.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM   #18
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Frankly, I would opt for the the predecessor with the lower megapixel count because it has even higher frame rate capabilities. I'm talking motion analysis here.
For motion analysis, sure, but except for Mythbusters (greatest show on television), golfers and hobbyists, it still seems like a gimmick until it can shoot at least SD rez at reasonably fast frame rates.
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:43 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren View Post
For motion analysis, sure, but except for Mythbusters (greatest show on television), golfers and hobbyists, it still seems like a gimmick until it can shoot at least SD rez at reasonably fast frame rates.
Well, I guess I wasn't really looking at this camera as a high end professional still cam. And yes, I play a lot of golf... hint, hint. We need a 4th for Tuesday morning... you available? :-)

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)