confused --> SLR HD vs XHA1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old December 15th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Well rather than vague terms like "extreme" and "super", put some numbers on the table, and let's see what's available.

Honestly, the more variance in the focal length, generally the poorer quality the image will be.

Something like Tamron's or Canon's 28-300 would qualify in my book. That certainly trumps anything I ever used when shooting film.

There's some 20-200s out there as well. If you're talking about a 14-400, then no, you're right. There isn't anything out there in FF35, Cinema, or anything else that I am aware of, so I don't generally consider things like that.
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Of course you can. Why wouldn't you?
1. XHA1 comes with a 20x lens, equivalent in 35mm terms from 32.5 to 650mm. There currently are no DSLR lenses with this kind of zoom range. The closest contender is 28-200 3.5. The DSLRs can shoot extremely wide, or extreme telephoto, but not both without having to stop recording and switch lenses.

2. There are no DSLR lenses with motorized zooms. It's near impossible or very difficult to execute a long, perfectly smooth zoom manually.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
1. XHA1 comes with a 20x lens, equivalent in 35mm terms from 32.5 to 650mm. There currently are no DSLR lenses with this kind of zoom range. The closest contender is 28-200 3.5. The DSLRs can shoot extremely wide, or extreme telephoto, but not both without having to stop recording and switch lenses.

2. There are no DSLR lenses with motorized zooms. It's near impossible or very difficult to execute a long, perfectly smooth zoom manually.
Ah ok, I see where you're going.

Yep, as I've said dozens of times. DSLRs are very poor substitutes to replace dedicated video cameras for a great many reasons. However, they are an exceptionally good mirror for film cameras at inexpensive prices.

Yep, if you need to record a 550mm zoom, the video camera is your best bet. And if you need to motor zoom while shooting, then a traditional video camera is the ticket. Neither of these things have an equivalent in film.
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #34
Major Player

But to augment a multi-cam setup, I think I would be smarter to go with a DSLR than an adapter on a compact camcorder primarily because of the sensor. I need something small, I don't need slow zooms, I don't need audio and I don't need long clips. So unless I'm missing something, I think a GH! is the right direction.
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
So unless I'm missing something, I think a GH! is the right direction.
The only things I dislike about the GH1 are the codec and the lack of an HDMI out while filming. Both are just showstoppers for me. And having to remove pulldown in post to get to a progressive stream is just a pain.

But if that works for you, the price is unbeatable.
Old December 16th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #36
Major Player

I just can't see filming video without a swivel LCD. I've heard about the codec. :o(
I guess if the codec is bad enough I'll exchange it with a 7D -- or perhaps Panasonic will update it via firmware, but I doubt it.
Old December 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
I just can't see filming video without a swivel LCD.
F23
F35
Viper
SI-2K
RED
Genesis
Dalsa
D21

None of these video cameras have a swivel LCD. All have footage with Hollywood releases. Many have Oscars attributed to their footage.
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #38
Trustee

All of those cameras are shot using external monitors or excellent veiwfinders.
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
All of those cameras are shot using external monitors or excellent veiwfinders.
Exactly my point.
Old December 18th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
But to augment a multi-cam setup, I think I would be smarter to go with a DSLR than an adapter on a compact camcorder primarily because of the sensor. I need something small, I don't need slow zooms, I don't need audio and I don't need long clips. So unless I'm missing something, I think a GH! is the right direction.
I think many people would agree with you that the GH1 is an excellent camera for still & video capture. The video is equal to the 5DII and 7D in a far smaller package and the AVCHD will match your other Panasonic equipment and workflow.

The GH1 would be a good C camera for you.

I don't like the 24P over 60i, but all these cameras have tradeoffs, and in Vegas Pro using the footage is as simple as dropping it on the timeline.

There are some decent video samples here:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Review: 19. Movie Mode: Digital Photography Review
Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:51 PM   #41
Regular Crew

"I think many people would agree with you that the GH1 is an excellent camera for still & video capture. The video is equal to the 5DII"

I have not seen low light video from the GH1 like what I have seen from the 5DII.
Canon Digital Learning Center - Sample EOS 5D Mark II Video: Reverie
Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)