Canon WD-H37C 0.7x wide angle works on the EX-F1 for HD video! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old January 30th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon WD-H37C 0.7x wide angle works on the EX-F1 for HD video!

While doing some A/B testing of my Canon HF10 vs. the EX-F1, I tried holding my WD-H37C 0.7x wide angle adapter I use on the HF10 in front of the EX-F1, thinking it would vignette during HD video.

Amazingly, because of how the EX-F1 uses a subset of the sensor, there was no vignetting at all during HD video recording! Its gorgeous.

Of course, it would be useless for standard def video or photos, but for HD, its a really nice solution.

Now I just have to rig up a 62mm to 37mm step down ring.

Michael
Michael Eskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 03:36 AM   #2
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eskin View Post
Now I just have to rig up a 62mm to 37mm step down ring.

Michael
Let us know because with HD the wide is 44mm which is NOT wide. A .7X would get about 30mm which is much better. How about a .7X with 62mm?
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

My step down rings arrived today, so here is a quick demo of using the Canon WD-H37C on the EX-F1.

The WD-H37C is designed for use with the Canon HF10, and is considerably smaller in diameter than the EX-F1 lens, but because of the way the EX-F1 uses only a portion of the CCD for HD video, is actually quite usable with minimal vignetting.

Here's a quick and dirty test showing the normal EX-F1 wide angle, and the same shot with the WD-H37C in place.

Test of Canon WD-H37C on the Casio EX-F1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Since I already had the WD-H37C, this certainly was a lot less expensive than buying a whole new piece of glass. It just cost the price of a couple of stepdown rings (62mm to 52mm, 52mm to 37mm). If I could find a single stepdown from 62mm to 37mm, I think the tiny amount of vignetting could be completely eliminated.
Michael Eskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)