DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/)
-   -   DPreview's Review of Sony HX1 is Up--A Serious Video Deficiency is Claimed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/228561-dpreviews-review-sony-hx1-up-serious-video-deficiency-claimed.html)

J. Stephen McDonald April 23rd, 2009 12:13 AM

DPreview's Review of Sony HX1 is Up--A Serious Video Deficiency is Claimed

Today, the full review of the Sony DSC-HX1 ultrazoom camera was posted by DPreview. They made the statement, that during video shooting, manual and auto focusing is disabled. Is this true? It doesn't seem likely that no video focusing would be available with such a camera, as it would be a deal-buster for many people. I hope that Steve Mullen or anyone with inside connections with Sony, can clear up this issue. There is one brief notation on page 40 of the HX1 online Handbook, that refers to focusing during video being limited to manual or multi-AF modes. This would imply that video focusing was enabled.

Added update at 4:00 AM PDT: The reviewer at DPreview has recognized the video focusing error and corrected it on the review. It now describes the video autofocusing or pre-set fixed focusing distance capabilities.

Sony DSC-HX1 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Steve Mullen April 23rd, 2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald (Post 1126908)
Today, the full review of the Sony DSC-HX1 ultrazoom camera was posted by DPreview. They made the statement, that during video shooting, manual and auto focusing is disabled.

I didn't find this statement.

J. Stephen McDonald April 23rd, 2009 10:59 PM

The Mistake in the Review Has Been Corrected

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 1130712)
I didn't find this statement.

Steve, after I contacted the reviewer on DPreview, he changed the two sections that made incorrect statements about the HX1 video mode, so you can no longer see anything but the revised version.

From what I've seen from the first user's samples from the HX1, which included photos, burst shots, a panorama and a 1080p video, the performance of this camera is looking a lot better than what has been shown on review websites. Even at 100%, the panorama looked sharp and bright. The video was also very good, although that sample is no longer available, as there was a 20 download limit on it.

Here's a link to the HX1 album by xsivone, who seems to be the first user to post photos. You can click on the full-size version of them. Tomorrow, if you go to the Sony Talk Forum on DPreview, there should be numerous photos there from users of the HX1, as well as some links to videos.
http://s694.photobucket.com/albums/v...ony%20DSC-HX1/

Steve Mullen April 24th, 2009 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald (Post 1130836)
Steve, after I contacted the reviewer on DPreview, he changed the two sections that made incorrect statements about the HX1 video mode, so you can no longer see anything but the revised version.

There was another odd statement that the 1440x1080 was 4:3 and later a statement that 1440x1080 used wide-pixels. Both statements are true, but the question is HOW was the video tagged. These "photo" reviewers really don't even bother to try editing.

And, every review I read all claim the stills suck. I wouldn't buy any camera after they pick apart each still. The odd thing is I don't know anyone who does huge prints anymore. Most stills wide-up on the internet. One could say still quality is of no importance.

Yet, it's the HD video that will be shown on a big screen. It's quality is therefore critical. And, they spend only a few paragraphs on it. No low-light measures. No resolution tests.

I think the big missing thing is there is no AE/AF LOCK button. For me that is a big lack.