D90 vs GH-1 for stills at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old April 30th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

D90 vs GH-1 for stills

Hi all,

I am a D90 owner. Naturally I'm fascinated by the Pana GH-1. I'm curious though, to me the D90 appears to be a much more serious camera as far as stills go than the panny. Is there anyone out there who can point out the differences between the two for stills?

Thanks.
Jesse Haycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Haycraft View Post
Hi all,

I am a D90 owner. Naturally I'm fascinated by the Pana GH-1. I'm curious though, to me the D90 appears to be a much more serious camera as far as stills go than the panny. Is there anyone out there who can point out the differences between the two for stills?
Interesting question. I'd like to hear some feedback about this as well.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Major Player

No contest (at least for me as a long-time Nikon owner). The glass and sensor size will be the deal breaker if you're going for best quality stills. D90's high iso range, greater lattitude, superior noise reduction, and manual controls make a huge difference. Nikon has a wide selection of lenses that are fast and sharp. Optical viewfinder with a pentaprism will give you a sharper view than the LCD viewfinder on the Panny.
Call me biased, but I'll keep my D90 until Nikon/Canon/Panasonic come out with a purpose built video camera that happens to take decent stills as an afterthought.

Get more info here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/30/te...e.html?_r=1&em
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)