The Difficult Truth at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old July 28th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #1
Trustee

The Difficult Truth

(honestly, this is about vDSLR's)

I've been struggling lately with my growing contempt of my former love interest. For the sake of this conversation we'll call her Niki.

Niki started out looking really good to me, sure she wasn't quite as good looking as her Japanese cousin (Candi) but she was pretty in her own way and I loved her for that. Unfortunately after spending more and more time with her there were flaws that became apparent, annoying and just plain difficult to overlook any further. Then Candi had some work done and suddenly a few flaws they shared that had made me feel a little better about being with Niki were gone and my feeling of resentment began to arise. I mean if Candi could fix some of her flaws fairly easily why did Niki refuse even after I made it clear that they bothered me and could seriously affect our relationship?

It's difficult to feel stuck in a bad relationship but I've got a lot invested in this already, it would cost me dearly to get out and make a run at her cousin. I also have to confess that I'm still here with that woman because my pride won't allow me to admit that I was wrong all along, part of me is still hoping she'll change, that things will get better even though deep down inside I know nothing is going to be any different tomorrow.

Part of this is my fault as well for trying to make her something she's not, projecting my expectations on her and asking her to meet them. That's on me. When seen in this light, maybe all this is all my fault, maybe my own selfishness is to blame.

Why do I say it's my own selfishness? Well, if I'm being completely honest with myself when I'm laying in bed at night I wish Niki was Scarlet her American second cousin. I knew about Scarlet before I met Niki, even saw a picture or two and was completely enthralled with everything I was hearing. She was my dream girl, but she was untouchable, you could even say unavailable and it made me want her more. So when I got involved with Niki it was really Scarlet I wanted all along. Honestly, Scarlet is probably the only one out there who can really live up to what I'm looking for. It's just wrong of me to expect Niki or Candi to be Scarlet and that would explain my feelings of contempt and disgust when I look at them but I had to fill my need for someone and took what I could get at the time.

That's my situation and I think many of you are in the same boat. In the mean time I guess we can only do as the old song says, "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with"

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
...it would cost me dearly to get out...
How so? This gear seems to hold its value fairly well.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
don't question me in the midst of my anguish

-Ethan Cooper
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

An Easy Solution…

A threesome.
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

In the mean time I guess we can only do as the old song says, "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with"

another song says:

It's cheaper to keep her
It is cheaper to keep her

When your little girl makes you mad
You get an attitude and pack your bag
Five little children that you're leaving behind
You're gonna pay some alimony or do some time

It's cheaper to keep her (Cheaper to keep her)
It's cheaper to keep her (Cheaper to keep her)
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #6
Trustee

...and next time on "As the Shutter Rolls" Ethan deals with codec envy.

-Ethan Cooper
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #7
Major Player

You think that's bad? I set up a date with Penny Sonic two and a half weeks ago, and not only has she not shown up yet, I called her parents, and they said they don't even know where she is or when she'll be back.
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
You think that's bad? I set up a date with Penny Sonic two and a half weeks ago, and not only has she not shown up yet, I called her parents, and they said they don't even know where she is or when she'll be back.
Oh crap, how could I leave out Penny? Totally failed on that one. Trying to make "mud" fit into the story would have been difficult though.

-Ethan Cooper
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Personally I'm still waiting for "Sunny" to show up to the party - if she's a twin to my current still steady gal, with a little more "motion", like the rumour says, I'll be at least dancing with her... I think "Sunny" is on some secretive spy mission or something...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #10
Trustee

Thank you Ethan for a great big belly laugh - that was funny - and touching in a metalic sort of way.
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #11
Equal Opportunity Offender

... and all I can think of (to chime in with) is whether he is a "lens man" or not.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
But divorce attorneys charge a lot nowadays...

Counseling, Ethan, counseling - that's what you need! See, this is why time spent on DVInfo is so precious to me; helps me make the right choice between... um... cousins.
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #13
Major Player

Ethan, I think you need to reconsider your belief in monogamy. I mean come on, it's 2009 man! These girls know what's up, they know they've only got (at best) about 18-24 months with you before you trade them in for someone younger.

I think you'll find they're actually quite open to sharing you if it means keeping you for a little longer. So embrace that. Free love baby, free love*.

* by "free" I actually mean "many thousands of dollars", but who can put a price on love?
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:48 AM   #14
Major Player

I found out recently Penny sonic wont open up for nikis new lenses.
Something to do with an incompatible ring....

sorry. i could keep going with this:)

look at the end of the day, as the joker said - why so serious?
Just enjoy them all. Relative to what we earn, they dont cost too much, thats the great thing about them :0
Admittedly Candis body doesn't come cheap though.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:58 PM   #15
Trustee

With today's technological advances, maybe in a couple months Nikki may be eligible for brain surgery that may correct her flaws. If she does get her brain surgery, wouldn't she be worth more than what she's worth right now?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)