DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/)
-   -   Lens for video for Canon T1i (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/369155-lens-video-canon-t1i.html)

Lukas Siewior September 6th, 2009 11:08 PM

Lens for video for Canon T1i

I bought T1i recently and I'm debating what lens I should get. Any suggestions from other owners? I'd like to use it for video and stills but have no clue how good 3rd party lens are comparing to Canon. Also L-series is out my reach as of now, so I have to stick with "cheap" stuff. Thanks for help.

Bruce Foreman September 7th, 2009 07:50 AM

Lukas,

I purchased the EF-S 55-250mm "second kit lens" sometimes offered in "kit" deals. This one picks up where the "kit" 18-55mm leaves off. Fairly inexpensive and I'm pleased with mine, check B&H and amazon.

If you've seen my tutorial on DOF control with EF/EF-S lenses here http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd...ef-s-lens.html you'll see why I will also recommend the Canon 50mm F1.8 EF lens. Almost perfect portrait perspective for head, head 'n shoulders closeups and for "two shots" (half to 3/4 length of two people interacting), and also where you want a sharp prime in what can be a general perspective. All in all a very useful lens in both video and stills if you will "work" with it.

One other very useful application for this lens is available or low light work, again both in video and stills. Here are some tests i ran for possible story concept: YouTube - T1i Night Test Short Ver

Although an adapted 50mm Nikkor F1.8 lens was used here the Canon EF 50mm F1.8 will work just as well, you do have to go through the setting steps in the tutorial though.

Peter Weisberg September 7th, 2009 11:45 AM

I just bought the T1i and after a month or so of research this was the lens i decided on. its sigma, but it is a great lens, read the reviews on b&h, people compare it to canon L series quality.

Sigma | 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens for Can | 669101 | B&H

17 - 70 mm so its not super telephoto, but for most situations it will cater to your needs. If need be you could always get a telephoto zoom to pick up where this leaves off, but how often do you really need super telephoto shots?

Lukas Siewior September 8th, 2009 01:02 PM

I was looking at that Sigma as well. How is the image quality? Any complains?

50mm is my 2nd choice too.

Thx for help guys.

Peter Weisberg September 10th, 2009 08:54 PM

i have no complaints with that lens quite the contrary especially for the price. here are some photos i took on the t1i with that lens

Flickr: SpieltierX's Photostream

Bruce Foreman September 12th, 2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Weisberg (Post 1323805)
I just bought the T1i and after a month or so of research this was the lens i decided on. its sigma, but it is a great lens, read the reviews on b&h, people compare it to canon L series quality.

Sigma | 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens for Can | 669101 | B&H

Peter, from what I see on the site where you have some of your pictures, that Sigma doesn't even come close to L series quality (I don't have any L series lenses so I'm not defending anything I have). When I look at edge definition on those posted photos, sharpness just isn't there, the Canon 18-55mm "kit" lens does a lot better.

What I see is a slight amount of what appears to be chromatic abberration, not quite enough to cause color fringing but enough to degrade sharpness, and this abberation is most likely due to some degree of lens element centration error.

If this lens is still within warranty I would send it back with copies of some of those images, including some really magnified portions to show what is happening and see if they will replace it.

It used to be common with lenses made by Sigma, Vivitar, and other 3rd party manufacturers (and sometimes even Nikon, I went through 3 28mm F3.5's before I got a sharp one) for there to be a wide variance in image quality largely due to the difficulty in getting element centration "right" in complex lens formulas. Two of us working in the same air force photo lab bought identical Vivitar 20mm lenses, I wound up doing most of the B&W printing from what we both shot and mine was quite sharp, his was just soft enough to drive him nuts.

He returned his for a replacement and the next assignment he used the 20mm on I was able to tell him he now had a pretty sharp one.

Gerald Baillgergeau September 13th, 2009 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm using i just picked up some Nikon lenses. Once I fiddle around I'll post some shots.. From preliminary usage, they're looking pretty nice!!