Nikon 300s or Pentax K7 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old September 24th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Though the camera did arrive yesterday, I was not around to receive it so I'll be swinging by UPS today to pick it up myself. Rest assured, it will be in my hands before the day is through.

I have a trip out of town coming up next weekend to the mountains, and I'll be bringing the camera along (of course), so you can expect some form of footage shortly thereafter. And again, if there are any specific tests people would like to see done, I'd be more than happy to accommodate if I can.

Scott--I'll think about the ball leveler and the possible trade for some of my old Nikon glass. I don't think anyone ever did weigh in on the comment about the Nikon glass not being suitable for the K7. Was there any further info on that?
Trip Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #32
Major Player

I'd recommend you try the Nikons yourself and see if you can get them to work. That would be cool if they did. I had no luck with it.
Old September 24th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #33
Regular Crew

What exactly was the issue you had with the Nikons? And what adapter were you using?
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #34
Major Player

No adapter. I didn't trust any I saw on eBay, from previous experience with similar looking FD adapters. I read on the Pentax forum it's possible to just hook it up. But I think some surgery on the Nikon is required (grind off some tabs). Maybe you'll get it to work.
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #35
Regular Crew

I use a Bogen 475/501 tripod /head combo with my Pentax K-7.
photo
Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:01 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Any experience with the following:

Lowepro | Super Trekker AW II Backpack | LP19800-PEF | B&H Photo

National Geographic | NG-5737 Earth Explorer Large | NG 5737

Clik Elite | Large Hiker Backpack (Gray) | CE402GR | B&H Photo

Kata | HB-205 GDC Hiker Backpack | KT HB-205 | B&H Photo Video

Lowepro | DryZone Rover Backpack (Yellow) | LP34733-PEF | B&H

Looking for something that can carry camera gear and camping gear (tent, sleeping bag, and basic necessities like socks and layers) that will stand up to the elements well. I know the Kata has a modular system that allows you to add hip and chest bags to the backpack. The Lowepro claims waterproof (good idea for my canoe trips). The Click seems to be the most like a true hiking pack. Surprisingly, the NatGeo got some really shining reviews on B&H.
Old September 29th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #37
Major Player

I've never used any of them. I just use a backpack and fit things in. Nor have I ever done a multi-day trip with camera gear. Someday, hopefully.
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Gould View Post
Any experience with the following:

Lowepro | DryZone Rover Backpack (Yellow) | LP34733-PEF | B&H

The Lowepro claims waterproof (good idea for my canoe trips).
The Lowepro "waterproof" is typically a thin raincover that is tucked in behind a zipper until you need it. Pulled out and stretched over most of the bag it provides some rain protection but would not protect against a good drenching or immersion. I have one Lowepro shoulder bag with that feature.

OOPS! Edited to correct above!!!

I just looked at the link to the Lowepro and they describe a lower waterproof compartment and do claim it can protect in case of immersion.

My newest is a Lowepro Micro Trekker with no rain protection. Last week I carried a large plastic bag in one of the pockets in case of rain.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:16 PM   #39
Regular Crew

For now, I went with this: Mountainsmith | Tour FX Camera Bag | 08-81045-01 | B&H Photo

Or, actually, the more up to date version than the one they have pictured. I'm still looking for a full multi-day camping solution, but this will take care of the local hikes and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. It seems well built, got nice reviews, and has quite a bit of room in it. If I carry only the three lenses and the body, I can even get the 503HDV head in there and I can strap the legs across the top. I'll probably end up getting the "strapettes" or whatever they call them to make it into a backpack style rig when it's all that I'm carrying, but the lumbar strap/shoulder strap combo is pretty comfortable as is (he says without actually having hiked more than a few feet with it, yet). So far, so good.
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:32 PM   #40
Regular Crew

By the way, I've added this one to the list of all-in-one packs: Petrol | PCBP-2N "Broadcast Trailer" | PCBP-2N | B&H

It seems more than adequate for a full camera package and enough clothes/camping gear for a multi-day. Looks like I could lash quite a bit to the outside, too. Still tracking down reviews on it, though.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:16 PM   #41
Major Player

Make sure you check the reviews.

Walking around NAB looking at Petrol, Kata etc I never saw a large backpack that respected the idea of a multi-day backcountry trip. All they care about is camera gear. So a big pack like that Petrol gets filled with all manner of pockets, slots and zippers, but there's no thought given to sleeping backs, stoves, food, shelter and clothing.

Plus, I find myself sceptical of their ability to design a real harness system, as compared to Gregory, Dana Designs, Osprey or name your favorite backpack company.

Well, this thread is veering off a bit. Let's get back to K7's and D300s'.... When can we see your first grinning clips, Trip?
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #42
Regular Crew

As soon as work dies down a bit, I'll be making it my first order of business to go out and do some serious testing.

I did have a question/thought that may or may not have any merit. I recall from my Olympus OM days how the shutter speed dial was on the lens itself. I also know that there were adapters to use the lenses on the EOS system. Well, any chance of using it on a K-Mount system and taking advantage of the manual shutter speed functionality? That would give us manual shutter and aperture leaving ISO as the only variable. Any thoughts? Perhaps this belongs in its own thread.
Trip Gould is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video