OM system lenses have shutter speed dial on lens. Can we use it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old October 12th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

OM system lenses have shutter speed dial on lens. Can we use it?

This is a general photo-DSLR question that I'd like to post to users of all systems. I used to own Olympus OM cameras back in my film days. We had both aperture and shutter rings on the lenses themselves. At the time, there were adapters available to use the lenses with the EOS system and maintain functionality of the shutter ring. Is this a viable option with today's vDSLRs? In my own case, I have a Pentax K7 and am most interested in that application, but I thought I'd throw the question out to everyone. For those who don't have an all-manual camera like the GH1 or Canons, would this give us manual control over everything but ISO?

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Trip Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Trustee

Unlikely to No.

I'm assuming the shutter ring on the lens was part of the leaf shutter in the lens (between lens elements). That's the only shutter ring I've seen on a lens barrel and it would be good only for one actuation and would then need to be "recocked".

The adapter for EOS bodies likely required the leaf shutter be locked open and the EOS focal plane shutter would be used.

On the Canon T1i (Rebel 500D) I have used manual aperture control with a Nikkor lens (Nikon lens to EOS adapter ring on the lens) and the camera then selected shutter and ISO. And this works fairly well.

I also use the procedure of going to Av mode, dialing desired aperture, pressing and holding the DOF prevue while unlocking and twisting the lens slightly to disengage electronic communication between lens and body. On the Canon this results in the lens remaining at the last "actuated" aperture and when you switch over to video mode the camera again selects shutter and ISO to accommodate exposure for the light coming in through the lens.

Something similar to one of the above methods may work with the Pentax but will not allow manual selection of shutter and ISO. Some degree of control may be possible with ND filters.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Major Player

I have and use OM lenses on my Canon DSLR's, mostly the 55/1.2, 35/2.8 and 28/3.5. I also have a OM mount Vivitar 24/2. I also have 2 OM1's and a OM10.

OM lens _do_not_ have shutters built in. The shutter speed adjustment is on the _body_, not the lens. It just happens to be where the lens mount is on the OM1, OM2 and others. On my OM10, there is no shutter speed selector at all.

The K7 can only adapt M42 lenses. You cannot adapt OM lenses to the K-mount (not without serious lens surgery or losing infinity focus). You can use manual focus K-mount lenses as well, since they have a aperture ring.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for that response Kin. I've got an OM 50mm 1.4 and 300mm 4.5 that I'm using with my GH1 and was kind of confused as to what Trip was talking about.

I bet your 55mm 1.2 cost a lot.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stemen View Post
I bet your 55mm 1.2 cost a lot.
Surprisingly, it didn't, only about US$125- a year ago. Since then, I've seen a few go for under $200-. The OM 50/1.2 is more highly sought after.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #6
Trustee

All the DSLR's use an electronic shutter anyway...
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)