What should be my 1st lens for 17-55 mm? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old November 9th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Major Player

What should be my 1st lens for 17-55 mm?

Cheapie kitlike Nikkor G type VR DX 18-55mm or Tamron f/2.8 (more details found below)...Which one would you (or do) use?

Or more specifically, the lens under close scrunity/consideration is as follows:

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical [IF] Autofocus Lens for Nikon Digital CamerasZoom Super Wide Angle With Built-In Motor. Mfr# AF016NII-700 Current cost is about $450 USD on average.

The D90 is my first DLSR with HD video ever and 1st DSLR period.... a huge jump up to what I did have at least as far as camera specs are concerned & need sage advice as to how to proceed in order to make a prompt, educated and informed decision & finalize on a suitable lens whether to its used for pictures or video.

Anybody here shoot video with this particular lens?

Should I upgrade/upscale from the AF-S Nikkor 18-55 mm 1-3.5-5.6G VR DX lens to the Tamron as given above? Yes, the Tamron has no IS but from reading around the net it seems to offer a sharp picture at a reasonable price if you get a good copy. I was told the Nikor G type lens are cheap are not all that great.

What would you do in my position and who wants to do it right the first time to the extent possible without going overboard in terms of expense/cost? How easy is it to blur and shake the picture with this lens seeing that it has no image stabilization built in?

Love to hear from this forum especially owners of the above lens so I can get suggestions and recommendations in regards to how to proceed. Experiences welcomed.

The cons given by users from reading around seem to be considerable which I won't list here however the vast majority seem to stem/originate from having a bad lens that should have never passed through the QA/QC inspector.

Look forward to hearing from you as I need to make a decision fast so a return-swap can be made if necessary before time runs out on that opportunity.

Thanks in advance!

Bruce
Bruce Pelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Are replies welcome

my email is emusampler@juno.com for those who would care to reply direct.

thank you.

Bruce
Old November 9th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Major Player

Sorry, I should also add the following:

I got the Nikkor G 55-200mm VR DX lens with the D-90

and to upgrade to the Tamron is only about 270 more or so.

If anyone knows where the Tamron might be on sale (if i make that choice based on advice recieved) that would be nice knowing too.
Old November 9th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I should go for the Tamron lens. I have not the same in my collection, but I have the 18-250mm Tamron and I'm happy with it for the price I paid.
Gerdy Vandermeersch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)