Getting the best video out of the Canon Rebel t1i at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old May 13th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Getting the best video out of the Canon Rebel t1i

Ok, I know the T2I is generally the best for video in this series but is anyone familiar with this camera?

I'm planning a trip to New York City some time this summer and want to capture video. I shot some things around my house and didnt seem to be wowed by the video quality.

How do I go about getting the best quality settings out of the video other than the lens choice?
Lee Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Trustee

Unfortunately you don't have manual video control on the T1i. I haven't used one so don't know exactly what settings you can and can't change but the T1i's video feature is severly crippled. Lack of control options mean that lens selection (using an adaptor and lenses with an aperture ring) is about the only way to control the image.

Also, the Full HD mode is only 20fps, so you may be better off to shoot in the 720p mode.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Trustee

When I had a T1i I shot only in 1280x720, all testing I did in 1920x1080 was unsatisfactory due to the "stuttery" 20fps. In addition I used a Nikon to EOS mount adapter and a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AI S Nikkor lens for some video. When using Canon lenses I used the "twist and unlock" method for manual aperture control.

See my video tutorial on this method here (read the description first for one correction to the method shown):

While there you can see the other video on using Nikkor lenses with the T1i.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Ive seen some amazing looking HD video on Youtube from this camera. I was just wondering how they went about it.
Lee Tamer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)