DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/)
-   -   Mark 5D questions / Short Film (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/479074-mark-5d-questions-short-film.html)

Silas Barker May 20th, 2010 05:12 PM

Mark 5D questions / Short Film

Hey all,
I am considering getting the Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital Camera to use with my EX1 for a film short I am creating later in the year.

If I get the 24-105mm f/4L IS USM AF Lens with the camera would that work well for most wide and close up shots or should I get another lens and if so which one?

Anything I should know about keeping the camera steady or using it handheld?

Will the footage match the EX1r or should I plan to use the Mark ii 5D for everything?

Do I need a second person to pull focus while shooting or is this something that one person can do?

Laurence Janus May 20th, 2010 05:43 PM

I would get lenses that can do what the EX1 can't, which is anything outside 31.4mm to 439mm or F/1.X

Silas Barker May 20th, 2010 05:45 PM

Will the footage match ok or will the EX look a lot worse and really sharp?

I was thinking of getting the 5D to use with it possibly to get more cinematic looking shots.

Jim Ross September 23rd, 2010 03:27 PM

If you try to shoot handheld without a support rig of some kind you might be very disappointed with the look. The ergonomics of a still camera just isn't suitable for video. Thats why you see so many after market supports coming out. It will make a HUGE difference in your footage. My lead editor shot a test piece with a 5D and he was very disappointed with the handheld footage. Way too shaky and looks like hi res phone video! Then he shot with a support rig and our jaws dropped at the difference.

I plan on mixing 5D footage with HPX170 footage, using the Panny for shots that might bring in the dreaded Jello from the Canon.

There is an group of guys that did a piece that way for a fan flick. Don't know these guys but I admire their work. YouTube - Modern Warfare : Frozen Crossing ( Part 1 )

Best to you,

Jim

Bill Pryor September 26th, 2010 09:47 AM

It seems that quite a few people have intercut the 5D with the EX1. If you use each camera for what it's best at, you can make it look good. Properly used, the 5D will look better, but the audiences rarely spot the difference.

Good comment about hand held. Use a tripod or a rails system with a good shoulder mount, and like with any video camera, only do hand held at wide angles.

But back to your original question...the 24mm wide end of that zoom is excellent on the 5D. I use mostly primes, and my widest lens is 24mm. I find myself using the 35 more than the 24, but it's handy for when I need a good wide angle shot. So far it's been wide enough for everything I've done. You'll find it's significantly wider than your widest on the EX1's lens.

I've seen that 24-105 in use quite a bit by news photographers around here. If you only want one lens for the 5D, it's probably the best range to have--wide enough for most things and long enough for a nice medium shot of a person. If you shoot lots of tight closeups, you'll find yourself moving the tripod in a lot. If money permits you might want to check out the f4 70-200 as a second lens.

Martin Catt December 10th, 2010 09:55 PM

The "kit" 24-105mm lens works well in most average situations. In low-light situations, you end up cranking the ISO upwards to compensate for the f/4 max aperture. Depending on the situation, the image quality as far as noise is --USUALLY-- good.

Zooms are great for going light and for situations where you don't have time to swap lenses. For most scripted work, I tend to go with Nikon prime lenses with a Fotodiox Nikon-to-EF mount adapter. I like the larger apertures available in the primes, along with the fact that there's one less control to fiddle with or get knocked out of whack, plus I appreciate getting an assortment of good used prime lenses for less than the price of a single Canon L lens.

Martin

Silas Barker December 10th, 2010 11:53 PM

Already shot the film with the 5D and the EX1r camera.

I used the Ex1r on the Glidecam pro 4000 for moving shots, and also for slow motion shots, and used the 5D with the 24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 100mm 2.8 macro, and the 70-300mm 4.5 canon lens with it for all other shooting which was done on tripod, jib, and slider.

Looks great!!! Trailer coming soon