What lens for shooting interviews with 5D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old February 24th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What lens for shooting interviews with 5D?

What lens could you recommend for shooting interviews with 5D? My budget is $400. I'm considering considering Canon 50mm f1.4
(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12140-USA/Canon_2515A003_50mm_f_1_4_USM_Autofocus.html), but maybe you know about something better.
Peter Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: What lens for shooting interviews with 5D?

If it's one camera and considering your budget my choice would be between 50mm f1.4 and 35mm f2, but no hand held with no IS, and I like to mix fixed tripod shots with hanheld for interviews, but that's 2-3 cameras setup and different budget
Old February 25th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Somebody on other forum told me I should rather use 85mm lens for interviews. So I'm really hesitating now :) Most of my shot will be probably medium close ups. And of course, I will buy other lenses in future too. I just need something for start.
Peter Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #4
Wrangler

I would consider a 50mm too wide for a standard interview with a 5D. It would be fine for certain applications but not others (women in particular will be more flattered by a longer lens). 85 is a good choice.
Old February 26th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #5
Trustee

Buba sorry for the newbie question:
Why u say NO IS for the interview? Cause is already on the tripod?
thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
Buba sorry for the newbie question:
Why u say NO IS for the interview? Cause is already on the tripod?
thx
I didn't say no IS for interview, i said no hand held with no IS, and it's for any type of shooting not just for interview,
but again, it is my personal opinion, to me hand held DSLR footage with no IS is not acceptable
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
but again, it is my personal opinion, to me hand held DSLR footage with no IS is not acceptable
Really? Why?
Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:43 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Really? Why?
I didn't expect that kind of question from professional,
because it looks like carp, and you know the difference between just shaky camera, and caemera you want to look shaky,
don't you?
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:42 PM   #9
Wrangler

Sure, but it sounds like you are describing a bare camera with lens held in the hands? My setup is 15 lbs and sits balanced on the shoulder, so the results are no different than they would be with a similar mass (2/3" camera, Super 16 etc). You could argue that the rolling shutter creates issues in handheld footage but I'm not sure if that's what you are referring to.

For longer lenses, like the 70-200, I do agree that IS is nearly mandatory--I'll even switch it on for tripod work (like a second tight angle on an interview) as I find the IS will wipe out the twitching that can be a result of your pulse coming through the head, plus the lens jumping that can occur when using a follow focus as it torques the lens against the mount. Yes, it does make things a bit "swimmy" but I learned to deal with it pretty quickly. And if one is any flavor of handheld, IS will help take the curse out of the telephoto lens.

I don't own any IS lenses (including my zooms) and have done plenty of handheld, and it's worked out fine. It looks just like any other camera. But again, that's with a counterweighted shoulder mount setup. Handholding the camera by itself is, I agree, too shaky unless you are going for a very specific look.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:49 PM   #10
Major Player

Hey Charles,

Would show a picture of your set up?

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
I didn't expect that kind of question from professional,
because it looks like carp, and you know the difference between just shaky camera, and caemera you want to look shaky,
don't you?
Gotta go with Charles here...my rig works fantastic without IS. BUT it's a shoulder system that's balanced like an ENG camera. I even shoot my 70-200 f4.0 NON IS on the rig and get great results.

Back to the OP...(and once again agreeing with Charles!) I use the 50mm 1.4 on my 7D which turns it into an 80mm. Works great for interviews and is super fast for those times the light just can't be there. The 85mm f1.8 on a 5D would be roughly the equivalent and within your budget.
I also use the 28mm 1.8 (roughly a 45mm on the crop sensor) and it's good for wider angles or group shots. So the 50 would fit the bill there.
Old March 17th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Sure, but it sounds like you are describing a bare camera with lens held in the hands?
Exactly, and that's how i shoot my handheld footage, (IS lenses only ) even with 70-200 @ 200mm :) and I love it mixed with nice tripod and flying shots.
Quote:
My setup is 15 lbs and sits balanced on the shoulder, so the results are no different than they would be with a similar mass (2/3" camera, Super 16 etc). You could argue that the rolling shutter creates issues in handheld footage but I'm not sure if that's what you are referring to.
15lb sholder rig is a solid base and i am sure will produce better looking footage with no IS lens than handheld with, but I shoot 3-4 cameras, and two of them ran by me so most of the time, if i am not with with steadicam, I have tripod with EX1 and 7D and 1D on my belt, so no room for shoulder rig :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)