DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/)
-   -   Stills with video camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/492460-stills-video-camera.html)

Steve Bleasdale March 1st, 2011 10:11 AM

Stills with video camera

Hi all, could anyone tell me what dslr camera will take still pics while recording video? I have recently jumped to stills with video and want to offer the full package, but rather than rely on someone else to do the photog i want to do it?? can i do it, will i lose the quality on one or the other, does anyone on here do the two or is it immposible?? steve

Ken Diewert March 4th, 2011 12:29 AM

Re: Stills with video camera

Steve,

The 5d2 will allow you to take stills while recording video but it does pause the video recording slightly, which is not so good. I have pulled a lot of still frames and used genuine fractals before enlarging and have gone to 12x8 enlargements. If the shutter speed was fairly high and the subject well lit, the still grabs look very good. It's not always the case though. I do have some brides interested in it this year.

Brian David Melnyk March 4th, 2011 04:12 AM

i've captured video stills as photoshop files in FCP with a 5D, and i have to say i'm pretty impressed with the quality. i can zoom radically in and the image doesn't seem to fall apart. but what are these 'genuine fractals' of which you speak?

Brian David Melnyk March 4th, 2011 04:18 AM

hmmm... just thinking... it would be great to capture a video still, color balance and tweak image in photoshop (create a 'look' or profile) and then use those exact filters/settings in FCP...is this easily achievable? i'd pay for that plug in!

Steve Bleasdale March 4th, 2011 02:12 PM

Thanks Ken and Brian, good points thank you. If the video footage does pause slightly then that would ok, but if it gives me decent pics then better. thanks will look into the 5d cheers.

Ken Diewert March 4th, 2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk (Post 1624382)
i've captured video stills as photoshop files in FCP with a 5D, and i have to say i'm pretty impressed with the quality. i can zoom radically in and the image doesn't seem to fall apart. but what are these 'genuine fractals' of which you speak?

It's a Photoshop plugin from On One software Perfect Resize 7 - onOne Software

But it has now been renamed 'perfect resize'

John Wiley March 4th, 2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk (Post 1624384)
hmmm... just thinking... it would be great to capture a video still, color balance and tweak image in photoshop (create a 'look' or profile) and then use those exact filters/settings in FCP...is this easily achievable? i'd pay for that plug in!

I don't know of any plugins for FCP but you can work with video in photoshop, or you can export an image sequence from your editor and batch all of the stills frames at once then import them back into your NLE as a sequence.