Stills with video camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old March 1st, 2011, 10:11 AM   #1
Trustee

Stills with video camera

Hi all, could anyone tell me what dslr camera will take still pics while recording video? I have recently jumped to stills with video and want to offer the full package, but rather than rely on someone else to do the photog i want to do it?? can i do it, will i lose the quality on one or the other, does anyone on here do the two or is it immposible?? steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Stills with video camera

Steve,

The 5d2 will allow you to take stills while recording video but it does pause the video recording slightly, which is not so good. I have pulled a lot of still frames and used genuine fractals before enlarging and have gone to 12x8 enlargements. If the shutter speed was fairly high and the subject well lit, the still grabs look very good. It's not always the case though. I do have some brides interested in it this year.
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #3
Major Player

i've captured video stills as photoshop files in FCP with a 5D, and i have to say i'm pretty impressed with the quality. i can zoom radically in and the image doesn't seem to fall apart. but what are these 'genuine fractals' of which you speak?
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:18 AM   #4
Major Player

hmmm... just thinking... it would be great to capture a video still, color balance and tweak image in photoshop (create a 'look' or profile) and then use those exact filters/settings in FCP...is this easily achievable? i'd pay for that plug in!
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Ken and Brian, good points thank you. If the video footage does pause slightly then that would ok, but if it gives me decent pics then better. thanks will look into the 5d cheers.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk View Post
i've captured video stills as photoshop files in FCP with a 5D, and i have to say i'm pretty impressed with the quality. i can zoom radically in and the image doesn't seem to fall apart. but what are these 'genuine fractals' of which you speak?
It's a Photoshop plugin from On One software Perfect Resize 7 - onOne Software

But it has now been renamed 'perfect resize'
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk View Post
hmmm... just thinking... it would be great to capture a video still, color balance and tweak image in photoshop (create a 'look' or profile) and then use those exact filters/settings in FCP...is this easily achievable? i'd pay for that plug in!
I don't know of any plugins for FCP but you can work with video in photoshop, or you can export an image sequence from your editor and batch all of the stills frames at once then import them back into your NLE as a sequence.
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)