DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/)
-   -   Gh2 hacked means what? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/499227-gh2-hacked-means-what.html)

Arthur Abramov August 4th, 2011 07:17 PM

Gh2 hacked means what?

I'm thinking about getting one of the gh2 panasonic, 2 questions, what is the meaning of hacked gh2. And is it possible to get a 25p recording on the camera anyhow by an upgrade ?

Nigel Barker August 5th, 2011 01:49 AM

Re: Gh2 hacked means what.?

Modifications to the GH2 firmware allow you to mess around with camera low level recording settings. Unlike Magic Lantern available for some Canon DSLRs which is a reverse engineered re-written & improved firmware the GH2 hack just gives you the ability to poke around & change values in memory locations within the Panasonic firmware.

The GH2 hack allows you to increase the recording bit rate & number of B frames but despite what the enthusiasts say I have yet to be convinced that there is any significant improvement in video quality compared to the 24Mbps that the camera is already capable of. AFAIK none of the enthusiasts has posted any before & after video of the same scene & lighting conditions demonstrating the improvements. The one useful achievement of the GH2 hack is the ability to disable the 30 minute recording limit on PAL cameras.

Apparently there is no likelihood of 25p being implemented with the hack & the only hope is that Panasonic provide an update to deliver this functionality.

Roy Feldman August 6th, 2011 05:32 AM

What Mr.Barker mentions is the truth but he is skimming over some developments within the hack that have improved the quality of the video for me. The hack developer does not give much hope for 25p.
The dismissal of the hack because there are no before/after tests does not mean the hack doesn't improve the camera just that no one has: shot a repeatable motion view, changed firmwear, shot the same view and uploaded to a venue that doesn't compress any of the benefits the hack adds.
Some pretty intense study is being done to try to improve the motion output on the camera at this time, this is being complicated because when sharing various settings in a Vimeo platform a lot of folks are discovering that vimeo doesn't show motion very well and monitors that refresh at 60hz don't show motion very well.
All that being said at this time I would stand by and wait a little while whilst the experts try every conceivable combination to squeeze quality out of this camera.
I am using the latest KAE hack for 1060/24 and to me the video is improved, although bit rate alone should not be a deciding factor, I have more than doubled the bit rate of the camera and I believe I am getting more detail and smoother motion.
I am not going to set up a test to show it to you, selfish on my part I know.

Roy Feldman August 6th, 2011 05:37 AM

What Mr.Barker mentions is the truth but he is skimming over some developments within the hack that have improved the quality of the video for me. The hack developer does not give much hope for 25p.
The dismissal of the hack because there are no before/after tests does not mean the hack doesn't improve the camera just that no one has: shot a repeatable motion view, changed firmwear, shot the same view and uploaded to a venue that doesn't compress any of the benefits the hack adds.
Some pretty intense study is being done to try to improve the motion output on the camera at this time, this is being complicated because when sharing various settings in a Vimeo platform a lot of folks are discovering that vimeo doesn't show motion very well and monitors that refresh at 60hz don't show motion very well.
All that being said at this time I would stand by and wait a little while whilst the experts try every conceivable combination to squeeze quality out of this camera.
I am using the latest KAE hack for 1060/24 and to me the video is improved, although bit rate alone should not be a deciding factor, I have more than doubled the bit rate of the camera and I believe I am getting more detail and smoother motion.
Please note I'm very careful to say the setting are improved for 'me' not everyone. I am using the hacked version for a commercial production starting next week because I believe the improvments are worth the risk (yes there is some) over possible instability

Roy Feldman August 6th, 2011 05:47 AM

Patrick Janka August 28th, 2011 10:39 PM

Panasonic have recently indicated that they're going to release a firmware update soon to enable 25p/PAL.

Nigel Barker August 29th, 2011 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Janka (Post 1678292)
Panasonic have recently indicated that they're going to release a firmware update soon to enable 25p/PAL.

Don't hold your breath. The article with a product developer from Panasonic in ePHOTOzine says that:-

"A firmware update may be coming for the GH2 to add support for 25p, and additional improvements in video abilities"

Arthur Abramov September 2nd, 2011 04:41 AM

if you get your camera hacked' could you restore your camera to it's factory condition.?

and then i got mixed a little, you'r saying the hack allows you recording 25p where the original factory doesn't', but you's still waiting for the firmware update for 25p ? why when it's working fine when hached..?