Why does AVCHD produce less heat in HDSLRs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old August 20th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #1
New Boot

Why does AVCHD produce less heat in HDSLRs?

I just saw a video at Video University. They were reviewing one of the Pansonic HDSLRs. He said that one of the benefits of the camera is that it recorded video in AVCHD format, and then said that one of the benefits of AVCHD was that the camera didn't experience the overheating problems that other HDSLR's do.

I have considered HDSLR, but have not made the jump since two issues I face are:

1. I shoot documentary interviews. I shoot the interview twice in each sitting, so they're usually in the 20-30 minute range, sometimes longer. It wouldn't be a good idea to interrupt the interview so the camera could cool.

2. I produce two half hour TV programs. We only get a limited amount of time in the Public Access studio, so we'll shoot two to three episodes in a single sitting. I have to set up an overhead camera that I can't touch until after the shoot is completed (I use a JVC Everio 3CCD with a 60 GB Hard Drive).

Now to my question. Why would recording AVCHD onto an HDSLR produce less heat than other recording formats?

Regards,

Toby
Toby Younis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Why does AVCHD produce less heat in HDSLRs?

AVCHD has NOTHING to do with the heat issue - Sony's A580 and A33/55 have heat issues AND are recording AVCHD.

Heat is produced by the internal chips passing lots and lots of electrons around, very fast... and in the case of the Sonys, the active image stabilization components, which worsen the problem, they record longer with active stabilization off.

Each manufacturer tries to balance performance and quality vs. customer expecations. If there are enough complaints about short clip time, and the technology allows, the heat issue will eventually be "fixed" in later cameras. My understanding is that the Panasonic cameras already don't have the issues, for whatever reasons and design decisions that the engineers made.

AVCHD is a format for recording an audio visual data stream. It's notoriously resource intensive, but also seems to work pretty well... other than requiring lots of horsepower for encoding and decoding (which will create heat from the "process"), heat really isn't a factor.

And BTW, not everything you see or hear or read on the web is accurate, same goes for print media and manufacturer marketing pitches....
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Younis View Post
...one of the benefits of AVCHD was that the camera didn't experience the overheating problems that other HDSLR's do.
Due to the mechanical design of the camera in question. Has nothing to do with the codec.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 12:12 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks guys.

That's what I thought, but I figured I might have missed something along the way.

Regards,

t.
Toby Younis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Reports are that the latest Canon offeris 600D and 60D do not have heat issues. That's why I bought a 60D and am selling my T2i. No issues with the 60D for me. There are heat issues reported with the 5DII, 7D and T2i.
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)