Continuous recording DSLR? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Continuous recording DSLR?

I am looking for an inexpensive DSLR companion for my video camera.

Is the Panasonic GH the only one that does not have the recording time limitation?

Thank you,
Old September 29th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Continuous recording DSLR?

all the canons except the 7d have optional firmware called 'magic lantern'
One of the features of ML is that it automatically restarts the recording when it stops.
There is a 3-5 second break in the video though.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #3
Inner Circle

3-5 seconds break means it's not continuous recording - that's not acceptable for me.

So I'm down to the Panasonic, right?
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Yes, panasonics would be your answer if you are looking for a DSLR form factor/look and continuous recording. None of the canon DSLRs offer a truly uninterrupted recording solution unfortunately.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #5
Major Player

how about the new sony's, do they?
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thank you.

From a video standpoint, is there any plus/minus to the GH2 over the GH1?
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Regular Crew

the characteristics that differentiate the GH1 and GH2 are enough where buying a GH1 could/would be considered ignorant. I'm not going to type them out, just search around. Also wait a bit, canon should be releasing some new stuff soon
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #8
Major Player

I have both the GH1 w/ GH13 hack and the GH2, and the GH2 is great for what I use it for mainly, shooting wildlife. The 2.6x and 3.9x modes are perfect for that.

Without hacking the GH2, I would say it's already as good as my GH13. AF is faster, low light performance is better.

I feel the biggest shortcoming is the smaller battery size, the position of the battery door is such that you need a smaller QR plate to not block it. A Manfrotto 200PL QR plate fits nicely, but the plate for my Weifeng 717 is much too large and blocks the door.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I have a friend who owns a Canon T2i and he bought an extra battery/grip like this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/590457-REG/Canon_3353B001_BG_E6_Battery_Grip.html

Is there no such thing available for Panasonic cameras?
Old September 29th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
I have a friend who owns a Canon T2i and he bought an extra battery/grip like this one: Canon BG-E6 Battery Grip 3353B001 B&H Photo Video

Is there no such thing available for Panasonic cameras?
There's some hacked together ones on eBay made from modified Canon or Nikon grips but I wouldn't use them. The battery life is long enough anyway I think.

I'll second the Panasonic GH2 as a great camera. I love ours.
Stephen Daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks, guys.

Anyone used it with a JVC GY-HD1xx? Do they cut together acceptable? Anything similar to the JVC scene files for the Pana?

I'm a one man band, doing mostly events. The idea would be to set and forget the GH on a tripod at the back of the venue, for a general view (or zoomed to shoot the whole stage, whatever the case), and use the JVC for close-ups.
Old September 30th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #12
Major Player

double post
Old September 30th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
3-5 seconds break means it's not continuous recording - that's not acceptable for me.

So I'm down to the Panasonic, right?
Not sure how well informed you are about this Ervin , but in case your not up to speed on DSLRs...

with the click of a button 'pluraleyes' would sync your canon clips to your JVC files. its really not a big deal.
There are advantages to using crop sensor Canon for this, mainly in the line of 1.6x vs the 2x crop youll get from GH2. Canon also has a huge second hand market of low cost, high quality lenses.
Thats without even bringing ML or stills into the comparison.

Push push, I should work for Canon.
Old September 30th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Griffin View Post
Not sure how well informed you are about this Ervin , but in case your not up to speed on DSLRs...

with the click of a button 'pluraleyes' would sync your canon clips to your JVC files. its really not a big deal.
There are advantages to using crop sensor Canon for this, mainly in the line of 1.6x vs the 2x crop youll get from GH2. Canon also has a huge second hand market of low cost, high quality lenses.
Thats without even bringing ML or stills into the comparison.

Push push, I should work for Canon.
I believe he needs something to record unattended for longer than 12minutes - not that he can't synch his videos with a camcorder. In that regard no none of the Canon DSLR's offer autonomous continuous recording.

I don't understand how crop factors and lenses got into this but they don't really matter. Canon has a lot of lenses but the GH2 and other m4/3s cameras have the advantage of being able to adapt to almost any lens on the market. Canon EF, Canon FD, Nikon F, Pentax KF, Sony A, Leica M, PL, C, Leica R etc etc. You name it you can use it. I'm partial to the Nikon 50mm f1.2 AI myself - you can find them for cheap.

Regarding the difference between 1x, 1.3x, 1.5x, 1.6x, and 2x crop factors it is small except for in the case of extreme wide angle lenses. Watch Philip Bloom's test of the Sony FS100 vs the Panasonic AF100 to see how the difference between 1x and 2x crop in real life only works out to be 5-10 feet in camera position for similar framing and subject size.

Quote:
Thanks, guys.

Anyone used it with a JVC GY-HD1xx? Do they cut together acceptable? Anything similar to the JVC scene files for the Pana?

I'm a one man band, doing mostly events. The idea would be to set and forget the GH on a tripod at the back of the venue, for a general view (or zoomed to shoot the whole stage, whatever the case), and use the JVC for close-ups.
Cutting between camcorders (massive depth of field, small dynamic range, and really sharp (sometimes over sharpened)) and DSLR's (shallow depth of field, high dynamic range, and slightly soft) is tricky. You will need to mess with the clips in post to grade the colors and contrast ranges to match. You might be able to setup a picture profile on one of the cameras to more closely match the other. It will require some experimentation. That said we regularly cut between Nikon D7000s, Panasonic GH2s, and a GoPro HD Hero without issue. It just takes a bit more work!

Last edited by Stephen Daugherty; September 30th, 2011 at 03:52 PM.
Stephen Daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Daugherty View Post
I believe he needs something to record unattended for longer than 12minutes - not that he can't synch his videos with a camcorder.
Ive made my point already about magic lantern combined with plural eyes. i shouldnt need to elaborate.
But for the benefit of some, I will.
The continuous record problem has being completely nulled and voided in recent months.
Its a non issue. Especially for a B cam.

As for crop factors. I dont need to watch anyone elses videos to see the difference. I have plenty of my own experience. And I brought it into it because it is always an important consideration in DSLR choice regardless of whether you shoot video or stills. Because what could initially seem like an easy choice in terms of camera body can end up as a long term costly decision in relation to glass. Equally the opposite can also apply where 2x can be advantageous. Either way must be considered at this early stage.

Im simply trying to be helpful in pointing out what I would condider to be the more important aspects of why one would choose one camera over another.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)